[SOLVED] Will Rx 580 bottleneck with i5 3rd gen

masabmuhammad2005

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
Can I use Rx 580 with i5 3 Rd gen because I have a PC laying it have i5 3570 just need psu and gpu can it play games at 1080p high

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu cannot bottleneck a gpu. Period. Cpu sets the fps limits. Gpu lives upto that limit, or fails, depending on resolution and detail settings. Game codes vary depending on the title.

You'll find some games are more cpu depending, that'll put a lower ceiling on fps and the gpu has no issues keeping up. In some games they are gpu bound, so the gpu won't reach the fps limits set by cpu.

A bottleneck is where a component slows down the flow of info. Since the cpu sets the info, it's not slowing anything down, it is whatever it is. Just because the gpu isn't being fully utilized by that game doesn't make the cpu a bottleneck. Different game, different results.

If anything here is a bottleneck, it's the i5 itself, all 4 cores/4 threads, but only in comparison to the I7 3770/k with 4 cores/8 threads. In some cpu thread heavy games, there will be a backlog as there's only so many threads available for use, that the hyperthreading would alleviate.

But other than that, an i5-3570/i7-3770 will pair up perfectly fine with an RTX2080ti, if used at 4k resolution. That i5/i7 with Rx580, no problems at 1080p, just don't expect great fps outputs on some games, but you will be able to run high-ultra and not drop fps either.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD