Will Ryzen 2 CPUs be better than Ryzen 5 CPUs?

shunter2062

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
I currently have a ryzen 3 1200 and a gtx 1060 6gb. I want more gaming performance so I was thinking of upgrading to the ryzen 5 1600. Should I wait for the Ryzen 2 series or will they be weaker?

(would be helpful if you guys could give me links regarding the new line of ryzen cpus)

jr9

Estimable
I would wait for Ryzen 2nd gen and then upgrade to either Ryzen 5/7 1st gen or 2nd gen depending on how the launch benchmarks look and how the Ryzen 2nd gen runs on Ryzen 1st gen AM4 boards. It should be around April. No real benchmarks are available just yet. Take advantage of AMD being awesome and sticking with the AM4 socket (although there will be newer X470 chipset AM4 boards). It will probably be an optimization and at least marginally better then Ryzen gen 1 according to recent leaks with simply higher clocks. Ryzen 5 2600 would probably be a great upgrade from Ryzen 3 1200. It would help keep your frame rates more consistent.

jr9

Estimable

Depends on if the engineering samples in that leak reflect the launch versions. I definitely would not take it as fact and wait for the real benchmarks. There is no way that AMD is going to simply bump up the core clock and do nothing else with this entire lineup of processors.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

At least AMD maybe truthful about Increase over from previous generation

From something I read recently it is not certain that Ryzen 2 will work with 300 series motherboards. Just because AMD said they were sticking with AM4 does not mean all AM4 boards will support all AM4 cpu's. Same as Intel's socket 1151 and coffeelake not running on 100 or 200 series motherboards.

jr9

Estimable

If they actually do that I will be completely blown away because AMD are supposed to be the nice guys with their sockets. That new AM4 chipset it does make you wonder though... I'm going to have to stop recommending Ryzen v1 for upgradability potential until that info comes out in Q2. Especially with the price cuts to i5 my biggest like with Ryzen was the AM4 platform being around for many years, swap out your old CPU without changing anything.

It was 1 article I read about 2 weeks ago, not seen it mentioned elsewhere but I also don't think I have seen anything where AMD have actually said all AM4 boards will support all AM4 CPU's. The statement was they were sticking with AM4 which isn't the same thing so I do wonder if there is merit to this claim.

zxz12m

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018

Ryzen 2 it means second generation. And in second generation will be Ryzen 3, 5 and 7. In general Ryzen 5 second generation (for example R5 2600) will be faster then Ryzen first generation (R5 1600) only 10%. So, it is your decision to wait or not.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Facts first.
Assume, for comparisons sake, that the Ryzen+ CPUs have a 200MHz Speed bump, which is nice, but will not decide the war.
The question will be, "How mich GHz per buck", and "Will it be enough GHz for my resulution?"
The Ryzen 3 1200 - sorry to spoil your day - isn't even worth an upgrade from socket AM3+, if you consider it's price... Only starting with the Ryzen 5 1400, AM4 beats AM3+ with the AMD FX 8350, for any FullHD-Gaming. As the price is not that much of a difference, the Ryzen 5 1500X is just better. But we are already in the €150 range here.
If you are in serious gaming, 6-core is the "sweet spot", the cheapest 6-core is the R5 1600, and that will remain true even when Ryzen+ comes in, even more, if you consider overclocking.
So, it is a question of budget, and that alone.
Sort all other 6-cores from AMD by price, and take the one you can afford.
If even the R5 1600 is too expensive for you, get the most expensive Ryzen 4-core (Ryzen+ or Ryzen) you can afford at the time you buy. But wait for the Ryzen+ to come out first. It's a simple as that.
Everything, starting with the Ryzen 5 1500X, is just much better than the Ryzen 3 1200, and you will feel that.

It's worth checking the support-pages of the MoBo you own, to see if any Ryzen+ BIOS update is planned. If not, the question does not come up. If the AM4-MoBos don't all of them support the new Ryzen+, AMD will get cornered by their fanboys, as that was - and hopefully is - a major factor for AMD being superior regarding budget.

jamezz2018

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

Yes, wait for the Ryzen 2600, I have been provided the official spec:

Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core 3.90GHz 95W CPU

This gives it an extra 300mHz boost over the Ryzen 1600.

Hope this helps!

The 2000- series of CPUs is a die shrink and clock speed bump....

I'd expect an OC'd 1600 to equal the 2600 if both are the same clock speed....; hopefully the 2600 might have an extra 100-200 MHz headroom leftover.... (It would be nice to finally see Ryzen's performance at above 4.1 GHz or so....)