Will setting higher voltage help o'cloking?

G

I want to o'clock my fsb and RAM (pc133) will o'clocked too then, right? it is set to normal voltage I hink 3.56 (there are 3 settings, mine is set to middle one, I can one higher one) If I set higher voltage will that help to o'clock it? Will me memory fry? it gets wormer a little though, but works. Any suggestions?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, what kind of processor and motherboard do you have?

Raising voltages makes your chip more stable at higher speeds, that's the only reason to raise it. It also produces more heat.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

I have ASUS A7V and 800Mhz Athlon, I know when I was o'clocking the bus this voltage raising helped, but should it help theoretically?

G

IS this heat dangerous for my generic pc133 CAS2.5 RAM? Will my memory fry?

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's just more heat from your processor. It'll over heat easier. Which isn't a problem if you have a good HSF (you have a Volcano II, don't you?). Just be careful of heat when you're overclocking.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

currently is it 43 degrees celcius, not o'clocked at all. I have just a standard HSF and will use ONLY standard HSF. i also have FOP38, but is just NO WAY, way too loud. I wonna sell fan from FOP38 and leave a heatsink to myself!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you move up to the 'test' setting, it'll bump your i/o voltage up around 3.7. If you have a GTS or an MX card, that WILL fry it. =)

I'd suggest leaving it at 3.50, since the nominal voltage is supposed to be 3.30.

G

really? I tried it and it was ok..didn't fry anything and I DO have an MX card...hmm let me set it back to 3.5..WHOA!! vidoecard started to glitch! QUICK! I lost the power botton! Where is my screw driver??? ah..

snn47

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
YESno
The higher the SRAM temp the higher the latency get.

More voltage means more power dissapated=> more heat=> higher latency=> slower acces=> worse OC