[SOLVED] Will spinning an unpowered cooler fan harm MOBO?

Danaima

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
Saw a small bug entered the back of my pc case and on my back PC fan so I carefully plucked it out using a pair of metal tweazers by poking it through the from the back of the case. I accidentally caused the fan to spin a bit. My PC was turned off but it was still plugged in with the PSU on.

Will this cause any potential problems, since there was this old saying that spinning a PC fan when not in use might generate voltage backwards into the board and frying it? I doubted I had cause enough harm to it since I didn't spin it super fast or anything, but since it was plugged in so I was wondering about that.

Solution
Saw a small bug entered the back of my pc case and on my back PC fan so I carefully plucked it out using a pair of metal tweazers by poking it through the from the back of the case. I accidentally caused the fan to spin a bit. My PC was turned off but it was still plugged in with the PSU on.

Will this cause any potential problems, since there was this old saying that spinning a PC fan when not in use might generate voltage backwards into the board and frying it? I doubted I had cause enough harm to it since I didn't spin it super fast or anything, but since it was plugged in so I was wondering about that.
It's OK for that much movement just don't spin it fast like when dusting with air, there's potential for a fan to generate...

It's OK for that much movement just don't spin it fast like when dusting with air, there's potential for a fan to generate electricity.

Solution