Will the new AMD Zen processor be cheaper than the current line of Intel processors?

Patrick_19

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Will the new AMD Zen processor be cheaper than the current line of Intel processors?

I saw somewhere that AMD is matching the performance of i7s with its new line up.
I'm thinking of doing a full team red build now once the cpus come out for consumers and I'm wondering if the Price to Performance ratio is going to be better than intels, and also will we have to pay extra for overclockable cpus like intels i5-6600k?

Solution
It greatly depends on how well they perform. If they are competitive to Intel's offerings at a similar core/thread count, expect similar pricing. So the 8 core/16 thread would be priced close to the 8 core/16 thread Broadwell-E chip and the 4 core/8 thread would be priced close to the i7 6700k. AMD might slightly undercut Intel if this is the case, but don't expect the price of a 4 core 8 thread CPU to drop by half.

AMD is desperate for cash right now, so don't expect any big discounts unless Zen is significantly behind Intel and has to have its price slashed to get people to buy it.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
At this point, probably not even AMD knows what it will be priced at. It will really depend on how cheap they can manufacture/design it. They have to pay their engineers as well as manufacturing and testing and then on top of that they will need a %age margin for profit. Lets hope they can offer a better value than intel

It greatly depends on how well they perform. If they are competitive to Intel's offerings at a similar core/thread count, expect similar pricing. So the 8 core/16 thread would be priced close to the 8 core/16 thread Broadwell-E chip and the 4 core/8 thread would be priced close to the i7 6700k. AMD might slightly undercut Intel if this is the case, but don't expect the price of a 4 core 8 thread CPU to drop by half.

AMD is desperate for cash right now, so don't expect any big discounts unless Zen is significantly behind Intel and has to have its price slashed to get people to buy it.

Solution

Last time AMD had a CPU faster than anything Intel had, they were charging $1000 for it. This was 13 years ago though.

I would guess the 4 core Zen will be about the price of an I5 and the 8 core Zen about the price of the 6 core I7. My guess is $250 and $550~600. This said the AM4 motherboards prices will be much cheaper than Intels due to Zen moves much from the motherboard to the CPU.

I don't think Zen will have any less on the motherboard than Intel does; modern Intel CPUs are practically SoCs. The FX line are very behind Skylake in this respect.

We've already seen pics with the AM4 motherboard with far less chips onboard. So much so it doesn't matter if its a CPU or an APU dropped into the socket.
The processor wires out to replace the southbridge, FCH, or PCH normally would, plus the I/O of a northbridge (PCIe, memory, etc).

Honestly, if Zen is between Haswell-E and Broadwell-E, and the best indications are that it is, then I would project an 8-core chip anywhere between $400-1000 (probably multiple SKUs with different clocks), 6-cores, if they exist, from $250-400, 4-core from $150-250 and Bristol Ridge (later Zen based APUs) from about $200 down. But it's really a shot in the dark at this point.