[SOLVED] Will the RX 550 4GB DDR5 bottleneck the i5 2400?

Feb 9, 2020
a question regarding my friend who wants to upgrade his GPU from an old one. the i5 is pretty old so i wanna know if he can pair those 2

Solution
a question regarding my friend who wants to upgrade his GPU from an old one. the i5 is pretty old so i wanna know if he can pair those 2

Like mentioned, 1080p will be fine. However cpu intensive games such as GTA 5 etc will likely be limited. But its not a bad thing as I used to run a 1050ti with an fx4300 and couldnt reach 40fps in gta but it was still playable. If he is upgrading an old gpu such as a gt710 etc, then it is worth the upgrade.

Like mentioned, 1080p will be fine. However cpu intensive games such as GTA 5 etc will likely be limited. But its not a bad thing as I used to run a 1050ti with an fx4300 and couldnt reach 40fps in gta but it was still playable. If he is upgrading an old gpu such as a gt710 etc, then it is worth the upgrade.

Solution
Feb 9, 2020
thanks for the answear, but he will go with the RX 470 instead which only costs around 11 dollars more. less bottleneck (only around 15% according to a bottleneck calculator site)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck calculators are garbage - ignore them.
It all depends on what your buddy wants, or is trying to achieve!
Even with the RX 470, they'll still be cpu limited in most multiplayer, strategy, and some of the more recent single player titles - for example, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
First, there are two variants, the 550-512 and the 550-640. The former is weaker than the latter.

Second, in the US, for the 4GB models, the cheapest, lowest end 550 and cheapest, lowest end 560 are, as counterintuitive as it seems, $120, and $99, respectively. The lowest priced RX 570, a FAR more capable card, is $115.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/v...92&sort=price&page=1&P=4294967296,51539607552

Unless your friend absolutely NEEDS a card that does not use a PCIe connector, then do NOT get the RX 550.

If your friend is buying new, and buying in the US, go with an RX 570.

The ONLY possible problem with getting a modern-era card like the RX series is if your friend's PC is an OEM one (like Dell, HP, etc) - I know with certain Sandy Bridge (all the i3-, i5-, i7- chips with numbers ending in 2xxx) Dells, they simply would NOT work with RX card (and some R9 cards).

If, on the other hand, this was a system put together with his own purchased motherboard, etc., then it should probably work fine.

Reactions: Phaaze88