Will the stock cooler be able to cool my Intel Core i5-4670k if I boosted it to it's turbo? (3.8Ghz)

Milkth3cow

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I wanted to overclock my Intel Core i5-4670k (3.4Ghz) to it's turbo speed of 3.8Ghz, will the stock cooler keep it from overheating while gaming?

Solution
Sorry, stock coolers don't even make good door stops......

- FAR too noisy
- and, they simply don't keep temps all that low

Get something like a Cooler Master 212 EVO. Dead silent. Far more cooling power than stock. OC or not, it will make a nice addition to your system.
Should be fine, run Prime95 for an hour and monitor your temps, CoreTemp like longname up there suggested is good, I personally use HWMonitor. The stock cooler is fine, it's loud, but it does work. Most people just don't have adequate airflow and use the stock cooler as an excuse.

If you spend $75 on a CPU cooler, definitely consider the Corsair H series, it sounds like you have poor airflow, and with water coolers because you're supposed to use external air, your ventilation and airflow does not matter. Take a picture of your case and link it here, that will give us an idea of what you can do to fix your issue.

jb6684

Distinguished
Sorry, stock coolers don't even make good door stops......

- FAR too noisy
- and, they simply don't keep temps all that low

Get something like a Cooler Master 212 EVO. Dead silent. Far more cooling power than stock. OC or not, it will make a nice addition to your system.

Solution

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I don't know how it happened. I bought mine last Dec 13,2013. Used it for 3 weeks and there is a record of 85C. It only happened once, then the max i get now is 75C.

EvgaLover

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I would not recommend any form of overclocking with a stock cooler. A stock cooler barely keeps your cpu cool without overclocking. Aftermarket coolers are extremely cheap and you will notice such a difference. Can recommend cooler master hyper 212 evo. Very good recommend cpu cooler.

jb6684

Distinguished
The thermal grease will "improve" a couple degree's in 1st few weeks as it "sets..."
Also, it might be a couple degrees cooler in your house in Jan than in Dec.....

Either way I'd rather not see 75C on my CPU at anytime

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

75C is very safe.