Will there be an Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix?

Kammex

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
I think it has been confirmed there will be a 980 Ti but Matrix cards have always been for the best GPU, so will there be a Matrix 980 Ti?

Solution
This morning Asus' ROG page posted this status.
"The new Matrix is on the way. Stay tuned September 2nd for ‪#‎IFA15‬. ‪#‎ROGIFA‬"

This picture was also included.
11953291_10154116777487388_1550945386445640494_o.jpg

cowcotland-asus-presente-gtx980ti-matrix.jpg

Now, I believe the timing is right for it to be a GTX 980 Ti. It was almost two months ago that CowCotLand claimed Asus revealed the GTX 980 Ti Matrix, Poseidon, and 20th Anniversary card. However, I've placed the two pictures side-by-side... tell me if you notice something different. That's right, the picture on the top has less red on it and more black, just like the new Maximus...

Kammex

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
On the thread that RunLuke posted, a user commented "Because Asus has realized his Matrix card for the 780 Ti and not for the 780 reference.", which is why I think there won't be a Matrix GTX 980 Ti.

Jun 12, 2014
I have been waiting for a while now on that Direct CU III Strix.... it looks like such a beast. But at the same time I want to also wait and snatch a ROG 980 Ti card, it would look awesome with my Maximus VII board and red aluminum G.Skill RAM, and the red LED fan that I will mount on my Hyper 212 EVO. Not to mention the off-the-charts performance such a deluxe card would bring. But the 980 Ti Strix is coming out soon, it will also be a beast of a card..... should I wait or no...?

kromlech

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I would wait. Don't get me wrong, this Strix card is a beast, but Asus has already announced and shown one ROG 980 Ti (Poseidon ROG card shown at Computex 2015) so it wouldnt suprise me within the next few months to hear of a Matrix card. I dont see how they dont make one with how much Hype this card is getting right now.

Jun 12, 2014
So apparently, a post yesterday by TechFrag based on a showing by Asus of various 980 Ti custom models such as the DCUIII Strix, the ROG Poseidon, a Gold 20th Anniversary Edition, and of course a ROG Matrix. This article speculates that they will be released in the following weeks.
Here it is: http://techfrag.com/2015/07/08/asus-unveils-three-premium-gtx-980-ti-cards/

And I think I just might hold out on the Direct CU III Strix in favor of the Matrix. After reading Guru3D's review of the Strix, what kind of bothers me about the card is that the DCU3 is used for being really silent rather than being super cool. My Club3D Radeon card right now makes a noticeable amount of noise. But it never really goes past 60 or 70 C in gaming, either, in my general observations using HWMonitor. Whereas the DCU3 bottlenecks at around 80 C and it does have a tendency to approach that point. I'm sure a 450W cooler like that could do better. The Strix, while beating out much of the competition stock with the exception of one or two models, lagged a bit behind in overclocked comparisons. I mean, it's a great card and the price isn't as high as I expected - I saw the Strix listing on Newegg Mobile today, maybe by accident because it's not on the full PC site, and it's actually just $670 USD plus $10 shipping.
But I think the Matrix will be better performing, better overclocking, and even though it's using a modified DCU2, hopefully better cooling. Plus eye candy.

Jun 12, 2014
This morning Asus' ROG page posted this status.
"The new Matrix is on the way. Stay tuned September 2nd for ‪#‎IFA15‬. ‪#‎ROGIFA‬"

This picture was also included.
11953291_10154116777487388_1550945386445640494_o.jpg

cowcotland-asus-presente-gtx980ti-matrix.jpg

Now, I believe the timing is right for it to be a GTX 980 Ti. It was almost two months ago that CowCotLand claimed Asus revealed the GTX 980 Ti Matrix, Poseidon, and 20th Anniversary card. However, I've placed the two pictures side-by-side... tell me if you notice something different. That's right, the picture on the top has less red on it and more black, just like the new Maximus VIII series ROG boards. The CowCotLand reveal featured a ROG card in the more red livery that we all know and love. So while the timing is right for this card to be a 980 Ti, either Asus has changed the visual design of the card since the conference on July 7th or Asus is releasing a different Matrix card. And in fact, they might be releasing a Matrix FURY card, especially since there will not be a Matrix Fury X card. I'm not sure....

Solution
Jun 12, 2014
I never realized that little fact about the hybrid blower, I guess that's part of the reason why they are still using just a dual fan design for their best cards.

But I mean more like the color scheme and the shroud.... I really like the color scheme on the Matrix card that Cowcotland took pictures of in the bottom image I posted.

Hey wait..... look in the picture that the Asus page released. There's a really hard-to-see red strip towards the top of the card on the right, and that strip has etched in it, "ROG MATRIX GTX 980 TI". It's really hard to see, so I only just noticed it! So yes, this card is definitely the GTX 980 Ti Matrix, so that means they DID change the aesthetic design since the Cowcotland press conference in London.

Penanc3

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Yep, definitely reads 980 Ti!

Jun 12, 2014
Anyone who's been following this thread, here's some more news: Asus formally revealed the GTX 980 Ti Matrix at IFA 2015 in Berlin last week. They released a picture of the card:
ROG-MATRIX-GTX-980-Ti-Platinum_5-635x476.jpg

As you can see, and as you guessed from the teaser pic earlier in the thread, it is in fact in the new color scheme that the new Z170 ROG boards sport.

It was also confirmed that the card will ship with a BIOS reset, I'm guessing at least a 14-phase if not 16-phase power delivery system, it's manufactured with Auto-Extreme technology and Super-Alloy 2 parts, and like its cousin the Strix, ships with a one-year subscription of Xsplit Gamecaster premium software. Side note - Asus also announced a new Swift 1440p G-Sync monitor to replace the existing one.

Now, I basically regurgitated the "party line". Of course it will be made with Auto-Extreme technology. The power delivery is speculation on my part, since the Matrix is meant to be an OC'ers wet dream they're clearly gonna have beefy power delivery as well as the BIOS reset mentioned. What we don't know.... are the clocks. Base clock, boost clock, and turbo clock. Though the clocks themselves are a bit irrelevant - I'm hoping to push 1.5Ghz on the chip, myself - the fact that they didn't confirm the clock means this is playing out like when they announced the Strix back in early June. They didn't confirm clocks then either, and, well, it was over a month until Guru 3D made their review and throughout July and even some August availability was very limited.

And if the Matrix is in demand, we better jump fast to beat the bandwagon.

Jun 12, 2014
Here's an official Asus ROG article of the Matrix alongside the new Maximus VIII Extreme: http://rog.asus.com/442662015/maximus-motherboards/ifa-2015-rog-maximus-viii-extremeassembly-and-matrix-gtx-980-ti-platinum-on-display/

Nothing really new here except for what 17seconds pointed out: the fan design is different. And in this ROG article they've confirmed it. The article reads: "The new ROG Matrix GTX 980 Ti Platinum gaming graphics card is packed with DirectCU II with the patented Wing-Blade Fan Design for maximum air flow with 25% cooler and 3 times quieter performance." Basically, it's not using the special fan design from the GTX 980 Matrix that 17seconds pointed out earlier. It's using the fan design from the GTX 980 Ti Strix. To me that shoots off a little alert, because the Strix has the Wing-Blade design to be a quiet card. The Matrix is NOT designed to be a more mainstream card like the Strix, it's designed to be a powerhouse overclocker, and I think any powerful graphics card will focus on cooling ability over being quiet. So it would seem the Wing-Blades are more effective than the previous Matrix fan design.