Will there be any wifi

firsttimelucian69

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
Hello Community!!!
well i was planing to buy Msi z270 a-pro motherboard and i was just wondering how should i install the internet driver for it when i install windows and everything...i dont know if you can a CD with it with the driver but even if i do get one it wont help me cause my case doesnt have an disc reader...so i was just wondering i have read that there are motherboards in which you can just stick the cable into the new installed windows and you are good to go so yeah all in all my question here is how should i get the wifi on my new windows

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the OS. Windows 10 has some basic ethernet drivers, allowing you to get straight online.

I'd suggest downloading the drivers from the MSI website ahead of time and putting them on a USB drive. Once you're up and running (I wouldn't connect to the internet immediately), attach the USB drive and extract/install all the drivers from MSI. Only then would I get online. Avoids the potential for Windows to install it's "best guess" at an appropriate driver.

While I'm sure you're using Wifi and "internet" or "ethernet" interchangeably here.... just to be clear, there's no onboard wifi with that board.

firsttimelucian69

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

firsttimelucian69

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
so i when i install my windows i will be capable of going online that very minute i mea have to plug in the cable...but the windows will let me know if it wants to install those drivers by itself and i can cancel it anytime cant i?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Generally, yes - but Windows 10 (especially during your first install) will search for drivers for you - not the best solution when the appropriate drivers are available.

I'd definitely suggest having the MSI drivers on a USB drive and installing them before you get online.

firsttimelucian69

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
Oh thanks thats one more problem solved now i have one more question...i have downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft site and bought the license in advance...do i need to clean everything from the usb and leave just windows files there or can the other things stay...

MERGED QUESTION
Question from firsttimelucian69 : "Well this is confusing..."

It was already answered here
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3555959/wifi.html

You may or may not need drivers - depending on the network card.
Even if there are suitable drivers built in to Win 10, the manufacturer's driver may enable more features.