Question Will there be noticable difference using Samsung 970 Evo 2TB vs. 970 Evo Plus 2TB on laptop?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, there is still no sign on when the 2TB version of the 970 EVO Plus becomes available for purchase. Have been waiting since January already. Will I see noticeable difference using 970 EVO Plus rather than the 970 Evo on a laptop?

NVMe SSD are so fast. For most real world uses. The differences are at worse a second or two usually within milliseconds. That's between a low end NVMe and high end NVMe. Differences between high end models is mostly in the milliseconds range.

Now if you were transferring huge files between your SSD and a 12HDD Thunderbolt RAID 0 array or 40+ gbps fiber optic network connection to a high performance NAS. You'd see noticeable differences. Also if the SSD was being used as a database server in an office over fiber optics.

Some games with 20+ second load times may show a second of difference.

As this is a laptop. You may want to consider the HP EX950 2TB. It's less power hungry than the 970 Evo.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
The only real difference is in write speeds. The EVO Plus is nearly capable of saturating four lanes of PCIe 3.0 for writes whereas the non-Plus isn't. This will make zero real-world difference.

The only reason I have one is because a friend blew the crap out of his laptop with a beer spillage and sold me the EVO Plus from in it for half price. It's nice to have, but I wouldn't have had one at full price as there's no practical benefit to having it.

Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Although the Plus does have a faster write speed I would say there hasn't been any noteworthy improvements when working with large files. Not a real upgrade in the real world - just on paper. They're both fantastic however!

Last edited:

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
That depends on how large the files are, the capacity of the drive, and how close to full the drive is.

As long as it's not too full, the 500GB model will write 20GB files at full tilt with no signs of a slowdown. That's assuming that you have something to write to it that can keep up with it, of course.

That also assumes that both PCIe M.2 drives aren't sharing the same DMI 3.0 bus as mine are as that caps communication between the drives at around 1.6GB/s.

One thing's for sure. We've come a long way since my first 20MB MFM hard drive! :LOL:

As long as it's not too full, the 500GB model will write 20GB files at full tilt with no signs of a slowdown. That's assuming that you have something to write to it that can keep up with it, of course.
That's the catch. It's a laptop. Aside from plugging in an external thunderbolt device with equally fast speeds, nothing is going to allow you to write that quickly on a laptop. Ever.

Even when your laptop has two M.2 slots with two NVMe cards (mine does), you'll rarely see transfer speeds exceeding a few hundred MB/s. In fact pretty much the only time I notice I have an NVMe SSD instead of a SATA SSD is when I'm muxing Korean drama videos with external subtitle files. The new muxed file gets written at 1.5-2 GB/s, instead of the 500 MB/s I used to get with SATA on my old laptop. By the time you get to NVMe vs NVMe drive, you're splitting millisecond hairs. You're not gonna notice it unless your workload involves writing terabytes of data to the drive every day (in which case you probably don't want an EVO).

Reactions: RayOfDark

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
While I wait for the 970 Evo 2TB price to go down, suddenly Samsung released the 970 Evo Plus at lower price. So, I was very excited to get it and paid for the fastest delivery. Upon connecting it to my computer, Windows 10 could not recognize it. I tried another computer and also different cables. Again, not recognized. So it is DOA. What is going on with Samsung? Is there something wrong with the 2TB model that they delayed the shipment from April to June? Perhaps better to wait for a few more months before buying it again?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Just like two days ago, I put it inside a Adwis USB 3.1 SSD enclosure and connected it to the laptop. Under PC, only the internal C drive shows up as before. Then, I went to disk management. Both internal Samsung 1TB and JMicron Tech SCSI Disk Device are listed. When I clicked on the JMicron Tech icon, under disk type, it states disk drive. Under manufacturer, it just list standard drive rather than Samsung. It is in Bus Number 0, Target id 0, LUN 0. Under the volumn tab, everything is empty. This is very different from other Samsung 970/960 NVMe SSD I have used. Even Samsung's Data Migration software cannot recognize it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS