[SOLVED] will this build be ok need opinions

tempest464

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
Hi I recently found a B85m-E Mobo lying around and i saw it had a few bent cpu pins imanaged toget em all straightened out. Then i thought i might upgrade to a 64 bit system bye bye 4 gb ram maximum
my parts list includes
Case- CM Masterbox Q300L
Cpu- I5 4690K
Ram-Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX316C10FBK2/16)
Mobo-ASUS B85M-E
Cpu cooler-CM i71C RGB
Gpu-EVGA GTX 970
SSD-120 gb (so far)

pls let me know what you think i've heard some negative things about the CM Masterbox Q300L Cooling airflow wise. But my components arn't top of the line so probably not as much heat generation as some high end rigs will prob add some more fans as well can u reccomend a brand?. Also i know mobo isnt the newest model by a long shot but for free im not complaining. p.s i wanna rock games like space engineers/rust/ark survival evolved/Eve online/and star wars TOR/ Hoping everything works out

Solution
Well, I realize that hardware in Canada is more expensive, but it isn't THAT kind of more expensive.

If you want the best budget option, that would be this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-31 17:04 EDT-0400

If you want the least expensive QUALITY option, then I'd look at this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($95.17 @ Vuugo)
Total: $95.17
Prices include shipping, taxes...
Do you even know if the system will POST, so that you don't buy any components and find out that the CPU doesn't even work, or that the motherboard was already fried due to the bent pins on the motherboard when it was previously in use?

It might be a good idea to simply get 4GB of cheap used memory, or borrow some, to test the system and make sure it even works before you invest a bunch of money.

I don't see a PSU listed either. Do you have a PSU that is capable of supporting that GTX 970? If so, what is the exact model of the unit?

tempest464

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
Hey darkbreeze yes i neglected to say i tested the board with a i5 4590 with 4gb ram no problems whatsoever! installed windows 7 ultimate also no prob.
sorry I forgot my Psu it is a coolermaster 650w RS-650-PCAR-E3

Eww. Sorry, but that's a pretty terrible power supply.

Reviews of the 600w edition of that model are piss poor.

And the 650w is almost certainly no better. While there doesn't seem to be any reviews for that specific model, there are reviews for the GX (Gamer extreme) 650w built for Cooler Master by Seventeam, which is who I believe built that one for them, and it is also pretty lousy.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_650w_power_supply_review/9

My recommendation would be, considering that those are all fairly OLD on top of being crappy when they were new, that you seriously consider replacing it with something not only more modern, but of much better quality. Even a relatively dirt cheap gray label Corsair CX 550w would be an improvement over that unit from what am able to determine. No professional reviews of a unit is usually an additional warning sign that you're looking at a model the manufacturer doesn't want anybody looking too closely at in order to avoid any bad publicity.

I would not trust my investment in hardware, no matter how limited or extensive that might be, with that unit for any length of time at all.

I would avoid the CM case you were looking at. It's terrible. Honestly, MOST of Cooler Master's products, are terrible. Not all, but a LOT. There's a saying that one of our moderators likes to sling around which is "friends don't let friends buy Cooler Master" and it pretty much holds true in a lot of ways.

If you want a budget case, it just about impossible to beat this one for quality, features and price, without spending about 20 bucks more. You will however likely want to add at least one, and preferably two, additional case fans because like most cases it only comes with two fans and really you should have four, or at minimum three, so that you have a balance of two intake and two exhaust.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PTNZ7F/?tag=pcpapi-20

These fans would be a good BUDGET option, in an effort to try and keep costs low while not sacrificing too much in the way of performance and noise.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $27.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-30 00:39 EDT-0400

But you will ALSO need two of these, because your motherboard only has TWO PWM fan headers so if you want to run more than two fans, you are compelled to use fan splitter cables or a 3rd party hub or controller.

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-...plitter+cable&qid=1567140055&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Last edited:

tempest464

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
ok ill definitly look into getting a better power supply maybe a evga 650w. i already bought some scythe kaze flex 120mm fans so thats no prob.One thing tho that case you showed me does it support micro atx mobo's cause i cant seem to confirm that. Also wanna up my cooling to a cooler master 212 evo Cause thats one thing cooler master definitly has going for it

How does this look?
EVGA 650 N1 100-N1-0650-L1 650W ATX12V

Last edited:
Yes, it supports mini ITX, micro ATX and ATX motherboards. It also supports CPU coolers up to 165mm tall, so a 212 EVO is no problem ALTHOUGH, that would definitely not be the cooler I'd recommend looking at, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the fact that it doesn't actually have all that terrific of performance, it's fairly loud compared to many competing models and the mounting system it uses REALLY sucks. I know, I wrote a tutorial on using it, seen here:

If you want a budget entry level cooler, I'd look at the Gammaxx 400. It performs better than the 212 EVO and is cheaper.

If you want a BETTER cooler, then I'd look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKJ21LW/?tag=pcpapi-20

That is, in my opinion, the best available air cooler for less than fifty dollars, hands down.

tempest464

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
ok thanks i'll go with that Fractal Case you recommended but i gotta say i have a 212 evo in my current i5 6600k gaming rig and i've never noticed it being loud nor have i had any problems with it also have 2 coming in the mail for someone else one for them and one for me. but heat deep cool looks really ok as well. any thoughts on that evga psu
EVGA 650 N1 100-N1-0650-L1 650W ATX12V

For EVGA power supplies you want to stick to the following:

EVGA. They have BOTH good and not very good models.

Not very good are the W1, N1, B1, B3 (Most models failed testing), BQ, BR, BT and G1 NEX models.

Good models are the B2, G2, G2L, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 models. We haven't seen any reviews YET for the G5 or P3 models.

The BQ, GD and G1 NEX units, while not STRICTLY horrible, are terribly mediocre and don't use high quality capacitors so while they work, they are probably not very long lasting units in the 7-10 year range like these others and might be prone to early failure in high demand gaming systems.

For sure, you want to avoid that N1 unit. The B1, N1, W1 and B3 units are seriously crappy.

The B2 units, while not currently being sold new, were pretty good if you happen to come across one that is new old stock. I wouldn't buy ANY power supply used, so I won't even go into that.

tempest464

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
alrighty but this is a bit of a budget build so $250 for a Psu is not an option im afraid what would you recommend in the $90-100 range? talking canadian dollars :( so thats about .75 US atm

Well, I realize that hardware in Canada is more expensive, but it isn't THAT kind of more expensive.

If you want the best budget option, that would be this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $79.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-31 17:04 EDT-0400

If you want the least expensive QUALITY option, then I'd look at this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($95.17 @ Vuugo)
Total: $95.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-31 17:06 EDT-0400

Solution