Will this custom build work?

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Recently, I started working a Christmas time job with UPS, which means that I'll be coming into some good money soon enough. That being said, Cyber Monday is almost here, and I need a new PC. Now, I've been talking with this guy on facebook who's part of a local gamer group, and he showed me a custom rig that he picked out; he said that it would last for years.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QMYHLJ?fbclid=IwAR1acyrrrWUS2b_5NQCxYUZVmV1n128oubA8eXcKK284b3-JBKAUPuaMXoI

Now, being that this is somebody on the internet, my parents are concerned that he could be trying to rip me off. Now, I understand their worries being that I'm spending my hard-earned money based on this guy's claims, but I want to give them absolute confirmation that everything is legit. Can you guys confirm this or not?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No, it's actually a bit of a garbage fire. The FX series deader than disco; it's an underwhelming series from 2012 and it's saddled with a cheap motherboard. It's loaded up with 32 GB of RAM for no particular reason and since it's DDR3 RAM, if you upgraded to something that's actually relevant, you'd need new RAM along with a new motherboard and CPU.

The power supply is excellent and the GPU is a fine budget card. But it's a terribly configured gaming rig, hard to upgrade, and unbalanced.

bignastyid

Titan

That guy on facebook is an idiot.

Here'a a better $600 build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $594.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-25 00:11 EST-0500

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018

Goddang. I had no idea. Thanks a lot. But one thing, though; how will it do when it runs games like Monster Hunter World and Overwatch?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Better at literally everything! The recommendation you were given had some good points (the PSU for one), but it was a *weird* build you were being suggested.

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018

Thanks, but what about this PC? https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-desktop---570-p045xt?jumpid=ma_cyber-sale-2018_product-tile_desktops_21_v9b39aa_hp-pavilion-desktop-&dl=true