[SOLVED] will this GPU fit my optiplex 990?

Jan 16, 2021
i have a dell optiplex 990 MT... did a bunch of research and the GT 1030 should be able to fit my tower. apparently, the PSU is somewhat low on this tower and doesnt work with most cards, but the GT 1030 will fit with the optiplex 990 psu (did a few days research to confirm this) i saw an actual video of someone using the gt 1030 in an optiplex 990 sff (smaller version than mine) now im trying to figure out if im supposed to get the full version of this card or the low profile version. I THINK im supposed to get the full version because i have the full size tower..im posting specs of the card and PCI slot of my optiplex 990

photo upload sites

The MT version is mine. notice the card length warning on the bottom saying it cannot be full card.

ok now heres the card im looking at

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=RZDBWPAVMV8Z12FDM1J4&th=1

the dimensions for the single slot card are 6.6 x 1.5 x 4.38 inches which looks like a match for the MT

the dimensions for the low profile card are 5.7 x 1.5 x 2.71 inches which looks like its a match for the smaller towers

its confusing because of the warning saying it cant be a full card and also how the MT full tower height is 4.376 and the single slot big version of the card is 4.38...i'm assuming this is rounded up and is still close and will fit?

also, i want the FAN version not the passive heatsink version...i live in FL and i obviously want a fan.

i saw a best buy questions about the card im looking at, a guy asked if it will fit into an optiplex 990 tower and best buy responded with yes, he was asking about the full version

final note...i use an HD TV thru a display port cable sometimes as my monitor about half the time when i wanna get a big screen going...not sure if that factors in at all

Solution
im trying to figure out if i can still use the DISPLAY PORT on my optiplex 990 after I add the new card to my pci slot or can i only use the ports thru the GPU? this is important cause i use the display port on my tower most of the time as my monitor. i was also trying to figure out if the wattage for the single slot version and the low profile are the same...i think they are
Yes, you might able to use both, iGPU and dedicated GPU.
If the DisplayPort is important, then just get a GT 1030 that has a DisplayPort.
i just wanna double check...u did this in a full sized optiplex 990 tower?
I installed that and several similar GPUs on Dell Optiplex 990 Minitower (MT) model.

By the way, you could just use a measuring tape, and measure the height and length.
Open the side panel and measure from the motherboard to the edge of the case where the side panel rests.
To get the length measure from the removeable brackets, on the back, to the hard drive cage. You will notice that it could fit longer GPUs than the 7.4" inches.

Jan 16, 2021
I installed that and several similar GPUs on Dell Optiplex 990 Minitower (MT) model.

By the way, you could just use a measuring tape, and measure the height and length.
Open the side panel and measure from the motherboard to the edge of the case where the side panel rests.
To get the length measure from the removeable brackets, on the back, to the hard drive cage. You will notice that it could fit longer GPUs than the 7.4" inches.

im trying to figure out if i can still use the DISPLAY PORT on my optiplex 990 after I add the new card to my pci slot or can i only use the ports thru the GPU? this is important cause i use the display port on my tower most of the time as my monitor. i was also trying to figure out if the wattage for the single slot version and the low profile are the same...i think they are

Yes, you might able to use both, iGPU and dedicated GPU.
If the DisplayPort is important, then just get a GT 1030 that has a DisplayPort.

Solution