will this interfere my airflow?

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
So i currently have 2 140mm front intakes and 1 120mm exhaust in the back installed and i'm looking to upgrade I was thinking about putting another 2 140mm exhausts at the top of the case, 1 140mm intake at the bottom and 1 120mm intake on the side panel.

I heard that having so many fans in diffrent directions is bad for airflow.

what do you guys think?

I am using the be quiet silentbase 800 if you are wondering

Solution
The CPU cooler being mounted backwards is the major issue here. Switching that around (and removing old paste and applying new paste) will fix you up.

Your CPU cooler backwards is causing turbulent airflow as it is now pushing air against the natural flow (cool intake at front/bottom and it rises to top/rear for exhaust.

A 140mm at the top should be sufficient, wouldn't put more money into fans until you know it is not sufficient.

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
my pc isn't overheating but it still runs hot, the cpu while gaming is sometimes reaching 80 C (4790k), reason for that is probably because the cpu cooler ( dark rock 3) is mounted the wrong way and is pushing the warm air into the case instead of out (some IT guy installed it) so i'm going to turn it around and and install another fan for pushpull because it can't hurt.

also the gpu is always around 77-80C when underload (980ti g1) and I think that that's a bit to high so a side intake would would fix that, and i thought that i might aswell use all the fan slots because i am working on cooling anyway

syked3

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

if your cpu is running that hot, i would recommend the cooler master hyper 212 evo. For your video card, as you said a side intake should do the trick. Perhaps another fan up top would be good idea. Also, you should consider where your tower is placed and your cable management(if your cables arent managed).

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
it isnt always at 80 C though, I noticed the 80 C when i played the witcher 3 at 4k at 30 fps locked, for some reason it runs at around 75-80 C when i do that. when i play at 1440p at 60 fps locked it stays at 55-65 C, that is also when at 4k 60fps. when idle it is running at 36C

so it has something to do with that locked 30fps (it makes games look somoother when at low fps)

my cable management is on point (I improved it today) every cable is going through the back of my case, I am not planning to change the cpu cooler to the hyper 212, I think that that would be a downgrade. If i turn the cpu cooler in the right way and add another fan it should work.

I am trying to get the best possible temps for my pc with just changing the fans but i'm wondering if using all the fan slots will do that, or should i leave the bottom intake out for example?

The side one might not do much to help and may disrupt. I can't tell how much it would be blocked by the gpu or cpu cooler. But bottom/front to back/top is what's normal and best. But if the gpu is getting hot, that side one will give it fresh cool air best.

The dark rock 3 is better than the 212 evo. It's quieter and better cooling so don't even change cooler. The cooler should be pointing back.

The CPU cooler being mounted backwards is the major issue here. Switching that around (and removing old paste and applying new paste) will fix you up.

Your CPU cooler backwards is causing turbulent airflow as it is now pushing air against the natural flow (cool intake at front/bottom and it rises to top/rear for exhaust.

A 140mm at the top should be sufficient, wouldn't put more money into fans until you know it is not sufficient.

Solution

I would expect it to at least drop to 70 if not high 60 degree temps.

Your cooler right now is sucking in hot air trying to be exhausted, that air gets pushed towards the front of the case by the cpu cooler, that then goes to the back of the case again to be exhausted, causing a vicious circle of inefficiency.

Dry Bones

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Before getting into details, your room temp has a lot to do in terms of your cooling performance. This sticky from the CPU forum has a lot of info regarding cpu temps, you can read it later if you want: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Regarding the CPU cooler, from what you've said, the issue is that it is fighting for air with the top-rear exhaust. rear[<--.......|cooler| -->..............]front
( "<--" represents a fan and it's direction )
So while it's not ideal for the hot air to move towards the front of the case, the bigger issue is that it's not getting unrestricted fresh air at all. Say you were to flip the top rear fan and make it an intake, then your temps should go down.

Better way to set it up, IMO, is to leave the rear exhaust alone, switch he cooler's fan to a pull on the other. Then place an intake fan on the top so that it blows fresh air into the side of the cooler.

_______________\intake/_
[<--.......<--|cooler|..............] front of case

Or this other way, but then it will not be ideal with a open cooler type of graphics card.

Regarding the side fan, that be quiet! case has it right in the middle. (or so it seems) So check were would the air flow go to when there is a fan there. As in, does it conflict with the gpu cooler fans or not.

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I will turn the cpu cooler around. I just ordered 1 120mm fan for pushpull on the cpu cooler and a 140mm as exhaust at the rear top of the case

if temps don't improve ill install 2 more case fans

_\exhaust/______________
[<--.......<--|cooler|<--......<--] front of case

I have an open cooler gpu so will this work?

Dry Bones

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

there is no point in having both of the exhaust fans in those positions. They will be pulling air away from each other, hurting their performance without a benefit. Pick one of the two. (Using the 140mm would mean more air movement) I mentioned that there may be an issue with the gpu since it's hot air kinda goes everywhere. Personally prefer to have a direct intake of air for my cpu, for that same reason. Up to you. Test things out, if it doesn't work as well, switch things up. That's what I've done with my rig. =]

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
thanks for the reply.
mayby using the 140mm as bottom intake would be a better idea, it will cover 25% of my gpu from underneath.
But I will have way more intake than exhaust (3 140mm intakes and 1 120mm exhaust) I know that having positive air pressure is good against dust, but would that mean that the temps will be significantly higher?