Question Will this m.2 fit/work?

DiabolusVolente

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Hello, I was trying to finally switch over to m.2 instead of HDD and SSD. But since I’m completely new in the m.2 world I have no clue what will fit/work with my mobo. I was looking at the 1TB WD Black SN770 NVMe - Internal SSD. The motherboard I have is a ROG Strix Z270F. Will this work? Or would u suggest another m.2? Thanks!

A$AP V

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Yes, it will fit. Your motherboard supports form factors 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110, and the m.2 you are going to purchase is 2280. Although the WD Black SN770 has a PCIe Gen4 interface and your motherboard only supports PCIe Gen3 for m.2, it should still function. However, I'm not sure if speed will be affected.

Reactions: DiabolusVolente

DiabolusVolente

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Yes, it will fit. Your motherboard supports form factors 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110, and the m.2 you are going to purchase is 2280. Although the WD Black SN770 has a PCIe Gen4 interface and your motherboard only supports PCIe Gen3 for m.2, it should still function. However, I'm not sure if speed will be affected.
Thanks for the respond! Alright, I’ll look up if I can find anything regarding the speed. Do u have any other good m2 suggestions that would work with good speeds?

USAFRet

Titan
So it would perfectly fine with around the given speeds 5k read 4K write?
No, slower than that.
Persormance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain. Here, the motherboard Gen 3 port.

Maybe 3500 read/write.
That is Gen 3 speed.

But that number only counts in moving large sequential data.
In regular use, you are moving or reading small blocks of data. At that level, all NVMe drives are about the same.

And what really makes an SSD shine is the near zero access time. This is across all solid state drive types.

I have 6x SSD in my system.
1x Gen 4, 1x (slow) Gen 3, and 4x SATA III.
The difference is only seen in rare use cases.

DiabolusVolente

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
No, slower than that.
Persormance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain. Here, the motherboard Gen 3 port.

Maybe 3500 read/write.
That is Gen 3 speed.

But that number only counts in moving large sequential data.
In regular use, you are moving or reading small blocks of data. At that level, all NVMe drives are about the same.

And what really makes an SSD shine is the near zero access time. This is across all solid state drive types.

I have 6x SSD in my system.
1x Gen 4, 1x (slow) Gen 3, and 4x SATA III.
The difference is only seen in rare use cases.
Alright thanks, so there wouldn’t be any issues using this? Or do u have any other suggestions for good gen3 m2’s.