[SOLVED] Will this mobo support the R9 390?

Jan 24, 2019
i am planning to buy the ASRock H310M-HDV along with a new CPU/pair of RAMs as replacement for my ancient H61M DS2/Intel I5 3450S/8G DDR3 .

so my question is will the h310m hdv compatible with r9 390? I am currently using an 1st player 600W Pro PSU, received it from my friend, it still new, as he just bought it a few months before he decided to buy a new one. so i replaced my old psu with the one he gave me.

and btw i am having black screen hanging/crash a lot. so probably replacing the whole current build will be last resort for me if all fail.

Here's my card: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R939G1-GAMING-8GD
I have seen many people with black screen/crash issue, and btw, i see people on reddit recommend 16.5.2.1/15.11.1, does these drivers as stable as they stated? the latest driver crash my system a lot, i have removed all AMD driver using DDU, and currently using stock windows driver as i am writing this post. i am looking forward to your replies.
-------------------------My current build-------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win7 64bit
H61M DS2 rev2.2
Intel Core i5 3450S
RAM 2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
1st Player Pro 600W PSU
1TB Seagate HDD
Gigabyte R9 390 8GB Windforce (GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, that gfx card is compatible with the ASRock H310M-HDV motherboard. The black screen crashes could be cause by a myriad of reasons. Kinda hard to say from here. Might be faulty RAM, failng gfx card, bad drive, or any other component. Might even be software related. Malware.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that gfx card is compatible with the ASRock H310M-HDV motherboard. The black screen crashes could be cause by a myriad of reasons. Kinda hard to say from here. Might be faulty RAM, failng gfx card, bad drive, or any other component. Might even be software related. Malware.

Solution
Jan 24, 2019

I uh.... somehow fixed the black screen issue when messing around with Catalyst settings, for now, it's gone, but temporary or not i don't know yet :D but at least for now, it don't crash anymore, i had the computer running since last night, it almost 24 hours, no crash yet, did a lot of heavy tasks and gaming today, no crash, guess i am lucky? :p Using Windows 7 64bit, last driver for Gigabyte R9 390 8G https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R939G1-GAMING-8GD#support-dl-driver, version 15.20.1046 for Win 7 64 bit. Still, cod ww2 keep display warning message about driver not supported, but i ignored it anyway :p . The driver is way old but it work, dunno if latest driver would do the same, i don't like AMD Wattman, cant change memory clock lower than 1500. What i did (as i remember): decrease power by 10%, lower memory clock to 1250, set fan speed at 50% ; I'm gonna install latest AMD driver and check wattman settings later to see if i can get it to work like this.
Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jan 24, 2019
Update: The Gigabyte G1 R9 burned itself for reason only devil known. Take it to the shop, was given a PCS+ R9 390 as replacement. Uninstalled all old drivers, re-installed AMD Radeon 19.1.1 driver, turned Hardware Acceleration back on in Firefox, default Radeon/Wattman setttings, no crash yet; watch Youtube last night for few hours, not a single black screen/crash occurred. Heavy gaming render the in-game screen with statics (but not menus and buttons/UI) ,restart the game and it was fine, the statics gone. COD WW2 sometimes sound just disappear entirely, yet menu sound still there.
Guess that Gigabyte card was faulty. The PCS+ R9 390 worked like a charm.

Last edited: