Question Will this motherboard support i9 13900k CPU?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi team,

I got my hands on a i9 13900k for a sweet bargain

I have no compatable motherboard and will need to buy one

I was wondering if this motherboard (Gigabyte H610M H DDR4 Motherboard ) is compatabile for it

I also want to ask whether this motherboard takes server RAM. On one website, it says that this motherboard has support for both ECC and non-ECC...so that does mean that it does?

If it will work depends what BIOS version is installed, it needs version F21 and if it comes with an older version you will need a cpu compatible with the installed BIOS to be able to do the update.

However, being able to work does not mean it will work well. That motherboard has a very basic VRM design with no heatsink. I would not be surprised if that cpu is limited by the VRM which I expect would overheat under any load.

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
If it will work depends what BIOS version is installed, it needs version F21 and if it comes with an older version you will need a cpu compatible with the installed BIOS to be able to do the update.

However, being able to work does not mean it will work well. That motherboard has a very basic VRM design with no heatsink. I would not be surprised if that cpu is limited by the VRM which I expect would overheat under any load.
thank you! that's unfortunate.

i was hoping i could get by with a cheap motherboard until i can afford a proper one.

i might look into second hand motherboards, but also keen what other commenters think. thank you for your thoughts!!

That motherboard should work if you already have it.
The chip is so crazy fast you would not notice any problem.

But, if your windows is oem, it will be tied to the motherboard it was installed on.
Upgrading later to a good motherboard will cost you later.

I also want to ask whether this motherboard takes server RAM. On one website, it says that this motherboard has support for both ECC and non-ECC...so that does mean that it does?
Server memory is usually ECC and registered and it would not work on this board. ECC unbuffered would work but as non-ECC so what would be the point (unless you already have such RAM and just want to use what you have)?