Question Will this pc setup work?

Apr 26, 2019
This is the first time I'm building a pc and up until 5 months ago I didn't know shit about it. I'm pretty confident that I got everything alright and that the components are compatible with each other, but just to make sure I wanted to ask someone with more knowledge on the subject so he could tell me what's bad or what should be improved.for example if a component will limit the others or if the components should not fit into the case or anything really.
Cpu: i7 8700k
Gpu: Gainward Geforce gtx 1660 ti 6G pegasus
Motherboard.: Asus Tuf z370 plus gaming II
RAM: HyperX 16Gb DDR4 2666 cl16
Cooler: NZXT kraken x62
Power: Corsair vs550
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
Case: Zalman Z9 Neo Plus
I'd really appreciate if someone sees any mistakes and could give me tips.
Thanks

Apr 19, 2019
The only thing really wrong with it is the PSU, I always recommend getting a a high wattage PSU because PSUs age over time decreasing their actual wattage. Get at least a bronze certified, preferably gold.

Another poster here mentioned "Don't spend more on your cpu than your GPU"... I disagree because in 3 years from now it'll be much cheaper to buy a $400 GPU to upgrade than buying another CPU, Mobo, RAM, etc. I recommend getting the i7 9700k or even saving up another $100 for the i9.

I had to upgrade my PC because my CPU was bottlenecking my PC, if I wasn't cheap at the time and bought a i7 for a extra $100 I wouldn't have had to spend $1000 on new parts. Learn from my pain lol

I highly recommend staying away from watercooling, it sucks and fails. It will fail, it's not a matter of if but when. Unless you positively hate a little hum coming from your PC, steer clear.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
that Powersupply is garbo try getting as everyone stated a seasonic focus+ gold or evga g2/g3 PSU preferably 750w or more.

and what is your total budget? the i7 8700k is still a high end gaming cpu and is quite fast even on stock, i wouldnt worry about that choice but pairing it with something like a gtx 1660 ti isnt the best combination (high end cpu + a good but low end gpu), if you plan on upgrading at least once a year or once every few years this setup would be doable only need to really upgrade is your gpu in a few years since i doubt the 8700k would bottleneck the next few generations of GPUs.

but if you are the type to build a system once every 5-10 years then you should change your setup abit to accommodate for a more powerful GPU if your main use of the system is to play games.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
The only thing really wrong with it is the PSU, I always recommend getting a a high wattage PSU because PSUs age over time decreasing their actual wattage. Get at least a bronze certified, preferably gold.

dont chose a psu becuase of its "certification" some bronze psu work significantly better and last longer than most gold certified PSU is the market. go for actual build quality not the certification.

I had to upgrade my PC because my CPU was bottlenecking my PC, if I wasn't cheap at the time and bought a i7 for a extra $100 I wouldn't have had to spend $1000 on new parts. Learn from my pain lol

in the OPs case the i7 8700k is already high end and i doubt it will be bottlenecked by anything in the coming years. its better than the 9700k since you get hyper threading for the 8700k. getting the i9 9900k with a tight budget is bad idea, you need to pair it with a good motherboard to avoid issues (cheap z390 cant properly provide enough power for the i9 9900k and your mobo might die due to that). and the OP would have to significantly increase his budget to allow an i9 for not really that much difference in gaming performance from the 8700k.

Apr 26, 2019
that Powersupply is garbo try getting as everyone stated a seasonic focus+ gold or evga g2/g3 PSU preferably 750w or more.

and what is your total budget? the i7 8700k is still a high end gaming cpu and is quite fast even on stock, i wouldnt worry about that choice but pairing it with something like a gtx 1660 ti isnt the best combination (high end cpu + a good but low end gpu), if you plan on upgrading at least once a year or once every few years this setup would be doable only need to really upgrade is your gpu in a few years since i doubt the 8700k would bottleneck the next few generations of GPUs.

but if you are the type to build a system once every 5-10 years then you should change your setup abit to accommodate for a more powerful GPU if your main use of the system is to play games.
The 1660 ti is the best gpu my budget is allowing me. But I plan to upgrade my gpu in maybe 1-2 years that's why I took the i7 8700k