Will this PCI Express 3.0 video card fit on this motherboard?

andywhoa

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
I'm trying to put together a build.

I already own this motherboard (ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150).

I am planning on buying this video card (EVGA GTX780 3GB).

The video card has PCI Express 3.0 interface.

The specs for the motherboard say it has "2(x16 or dual x8)" PCI Express 3.0 x16 expansion slots.

I haven't built a machine in many years, so forgive my ignorance. Isn't a PCI Express 3.0 about the size of an x8? Does this mean a PCI Express 3.0 x16 or a PCI Express 3.0 interface can fit in these expansion slots?

Thanks for your help

imadirtybirdy

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Motherboards generally arent a concern for capability, its the power supply that matters most.. Sometimes you might need to update your bios on the motherboard but the slots will always connect. Less its a PCI Express First gen. Which you will not find unless you're using 8-10 year equipment.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Are you saying a PCIe 3.0 card won't work on a PCIe 1.0 motherboard?

imadirtybirdy

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Yeah, am i wrong? At the very least if it would, im sure it would need a bios flash, i had to flash my UD3 gigabyte to use my 7970 and I cant imagine a board that old would continue to get firmware updates.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Theoretically, it will work because of the backward compatibility. But you are correct about the possibility of the board needing a BIOS update. And some older board manufacturers may no longer be providing updated BIOSs. So, yes... we are on the same page ;-)

andywhoa

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

The PSU I've selected it this (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W).

I imagine this is overkill. I may SLI in the future. It's almost double the amps required (I'm assume that's not a bad thing).

In fact, here is my entire wish list.

It is missing the motherboard, the CPU heat sink, and another 2 sticks of the same RAM, all of which I already have. I don't think I've missed anything else.

imadirtybirdy

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Ive heard good things about that power supply, you shouldnt have any issue with any video card you want to use. Like stated above, if anything you'll just need to flash your bios.