Will this prevent CPU working? Bent pins!

Nov 8, 2018
Hi
I am just putting together a new PC. I was just about to install an i7 6700k processor and noticed some of the pins on the motherboard (used Asus Z170 pro gaming) are bent.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FuViD88geSZQmodG6

My question is there probability that the PC wont start and boot properly or at all with the pins in the shape they are?

Thanks in advance
Gene

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

If it was a single pin or maybe even a couple, perhaps. Not every Pin is used in every CPU package, however this socket looks to have suffered extensive damage, you are risking damage to your CPU at this point as well if it even started.

USAFRet

Titan
Bent motherboard pins
Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

Nice job, USAF! OP, if you want to try to fix it you'll need a loupe or visor magnifier, some fine tweezers, and a lot of patience to reshape those bent pins. If you are good with your hands I'd say it can be done and you should give it a try if you're up to it. It's a very expensive motherboard, right? If so, you should try to fix it. If it doesn't look uniform like in USAF's photo, then don't risk your CPU. Since the mobo is worthless without repair, you've got nothing to lose if you have the tools on hand, or judge whether it's worth the investment if you don't. I have a Donegan visor. You may need to ask USAF for some tips on technique. I'm thinking some of those pins may require two tools, one for bending and one as a fulcrum. All this while taking care not to bend good pins adjacent to the bad ones.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I remember a few years ago when I worked at a systems integrator (building a custom project for a client) having to straighten out the pins on a socket 604 Xeon processor a new guy in the office accidentally dropped to the floor. 24 pins were bent on that CPU and it was a painstaking task fixing it with a pair of tweezers, a magnifying glass and a pair of fine point needle-nose pliers and 3 hours of very careful work to straighten the pins.. Lucky for the new start guy that the CPU worked perfectly at the end.

This is not going to be a fun job assuming its even do-able in the first place.

That motherboard is dead beyond repair. There are even some pins missing/broken. That socket has become a deathtrap for any CPU you try to put in. Don't ever try to power it on. That socket is sorted, pins are touching each other and any attempt to power it on with a CPU in it will likely result to a fried CPU, fried RAM (probably), the motherboard's VRM may blow up and it may ever catch fire. In the end the PSU may also blow up and you may even loose additional components. Don't do it. Get a new motherboard and return this board back to whoever you bought it from. Good luck.