Will this rig work in 2018

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,today I wanna ask you guys some questions as I'm upgrading from a dual core to quad core so this is my rig:
4gb DDR2
GT 730 2gb gddr5
Core 2 Quad q6600 @2.4 GHz

Will this be able to run titles like Csgo,fortnite at 60 fps and GTA 5 and FIFA 16 in 30 fps and on what settings would it run?I would like to know if it can run any other games at high fps

(Sorry for bad english)

Solution
If currently the E5700 reaches 100%, it is likely that with the Q6600 get some improvement. If the Q6600 is very cheap you can buy it and try it.

Do you know if your motherboard allows overclocking?
Do you know the speed of your DDR2 memories (667 or 800)?

Ramlethal

Estimable
Im pretty much sure it wont. The processor is like a thousend years ago,the Ram is way too old aswell and the graphics card its the only thing that may be working here...
Im not actually convinced by this rig to play fortnite at 60, im pretty sure it goes nearly at 30~35, Same with CsGO and GTA 5 probably it wont even launch since you will need at least an updated processor and 8 gbs of ram instead of 4.

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

I currently have a dual core e5700 and I can run Csgo at 60 fps and fortnite at 25-30 and same for GTA I'm going to upgrade to q6600 so shouldn't I expect better performance?

Sep 3, 2018

Yeah you're right, 4GB of ram really won't cut it regardless of how slow the CPU/GPU combo is.

You could probably get CSGO running at 60fps, but you would need more Ram and you could overclock the CPU to get half decent performance in the other titles. I have seen youtube videos of the Core 2 Quads performing okay when paired with slightly more powerful GPU's (750ti would be about as far as I would recommend), you might want to take a look at the kind of performance they are getting.

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

What about fortnite,can I play it at 45 fps+?

Surely you will not notice any improvement when changing the processor. In your current PC the weakest part is, by far, the GT 730 which is the PC bottleneck. Your current processor does not need to go full power to support it. Improving the CPU would not bring improvements.

You can check it using the msi afterburner program that will tell you the CPU and GPU load when running a game. This will allow you to see which is the weak part of the pc.

Ramlethal

Estimable
Yeah, as pistolpete69 said. The very best thing you could do there its to pair it with a 750ti.
The other solutions worths more than some components of the PC itself...
For example, you can OC your CPU to a very insane performance but you will need to get a very nice cooling system for it.
And expanding OLD rams is basically useless, 1) because they are difficult to get 2) cause they are still slow and inefficient 3) they tend to cost the same or even more than a brand new DDR4 ram.

Sep 3, 2018

Exactly.
If you have an overclocking board and a half decent cooler you could OC a bit, and if you can find more ddr2 for cheap it might not be a bad idea to try that as well.
But definitely don't invest too much into an old platform like this, aside from a GPU upgrade which you could always port to a new system later.

You could probably get 45+ fps in Fortnite with the settings turned down but the gt 730 is extremely weak these days and is due for an upgrade regardless of if you jump to newer generation motherboard/processor combo.

If you're getting the processor and ram cheap enough go for it, other wise spend that money for a new GPU then save up and upgrade the rest of your system to something more recent. Sandy bridge i5 with 8gb+ of DDR3 would be my minimum recommendation

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

Im gonna build a new pc in 6-8 months so im just buying this cpu temporarily because my fortnite stutters a lot and i need to make fps stable until i build a new one as this cpu is very cheap,do you think some amount of stuttering will be fixed and i could play atleast 30 fps locked on this cpu?

Sep 3, 2018

Upgrading from a dual core to quad core definitely can't hurt it is certainly an upgrade and should help with stuttering, but I would recommend checking MSI afterburner for GPU, CPU and RAM usage before doing so.

If your GPU is already running at 99%, a better cpu isn't going to do much of anything.
Same thing with RAM, if it's maxed out at 4gb you will still see many of the same stutters even with a better cpu.

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

As it is night here tomorrow I will test and see if my GPU and ram are doing a lot of consumption

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

i ran msi afterburner and rivatuna and went in game,in game the cpu is around 90 to sometimes even 100 which leads to extreme stuttering,ram is at 3500 mostly and gpu is at 60 percent average do you think getting a cpu is gonna decrease the stuttering and make the game atleast playable?

If currently the E5700 reaches 100%, it is likely that with the Q6600 get some improvement. If the Q6600 is very cheap you can buy it and try it.

Do you know if your motherboard allows overclocking?
Do you know the speed of your DDR2 memories (667 or 800)?

Solution

Yashank

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017

My motherboard is an mcp73 but I don't know if it supports overclocking as it is probable 7 years old as for the ram,it is a 800 mhz