Will this work?

Catastrophe803

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Alright everyone, I put in a post yesterday about trying to connect a switch to a modem, and then two routers to the switch in which the switch would perform a bandwidth control on one of them. I realized it wouldn't work because NAT is being performed on the the router I currently have set up, so I would need something that can perform NAT if I am to replace it on the network.

So I've decided on getting an older Cisco enterprise-level router to connect right to the modem so it can perform NAT. And then have my wireless routers connected to that, in which both links to the Cisco router will be on the 10.0.x.x network while the WiFi routers use DHCP to keep their local machines on the 192.168.x.x network. Yes I want both wifi routers to be in different networks and to not communicate unless I tell them to. I will also use the Cisco router to limit bandwidth and protocols on the link containing router 2, the guest network. Anyone see an issue with that?

Solution
Seems reasonable. Each wireless router is essentially autonomous - WIFI1 and WIFI2 will not know about each other and will be unaware of the fact that they are sharing internet bandwidth through the CISCO Router.

You may need to set up some static IPs if you intend to have a tablet on WIFI1 work with a printer on WIFI2. Even so - network search for devices would not be straight forward since you are working with 2 DHCP routers.

Other than that it should be fine.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Seems reasonable. Each wireless router is essentially autonomous - WIFI1 and WIFI2 will not know about each other and will be unaware of the fact that they are sharing internet bandwidth through the CISCO Router.

You may need to set up some static IPs if you intend to have a tablet on WIFI1 work with a printer on WIFI2. Even so - network search for devices would not be straight forward since you are working with 2 DHCP routers.

Other than that it should be fine.

Solution

Catastrophe803

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah. However I'm fortunate that this setup will accommodate just users and that's it, no other network devices such as printers. The network being throttled by the Cisco router would be my guest network.

If you have the ability to configure a cisco enterprise router I would use both your WiFi routers as AP only. I would move all the DHCP etc to the cisco. You could then see the actual end station and you could implement even more detailed control over the guest machines.

It really depends on your abilities on cisco but it has so many features.

Catastrophe803

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I agree with what you're saying, however I'm not aiming for complete control yet. I want it where the individual wireless routers will take care of their own because at some point I will definitely switch locations and pack up the Cisco router and the netgear router, which will direct the local traffic of my machines. Currently my ideas are to have the Cisco router simply implement a bandwidth control on a link, as well as block protocols and serve as an extra level of protection from outside of my network while my other routers then provide protection of their own while be separated. If for some reason I can manually configure IP address for my wifi router, I may then have to if DHCP helps. Anyways I assume my initial idea would work without trouble?