Will Threadripper 2 support AVX-512 and perform at least as well as the 7900X's?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I read that although the TR supports AVX-2, it does not perform as well as INTEL's because of the way AMD implemented it. How likely will Threadripper 2 supports AVX-512 that performs at least as well as the AVX-512 in the current i9-7900X in tasks that benefit from AVX-512?

caqde

Distinguished
The Ryzen Threadripper 2x00 series will only be a clockbump with better memory support and a more aggressive/intelligent turboboost algorithm. Mainly because the 2nd generation of Ryzen chips is not based on Zen 2 but Zen+ which is only a small die shrink and refinement of the original Zen core.

Zen 2 on the other hand might provide better AVX, but at this point no leaks providing us with any clues as to what might be coming as far as internal chip architectural changes and SIMD instruction support have surfaced to my knowledge so far at this point. All we know/speculate at this point is more cores (likely 12 for Ryzen, 24 for Threadripper, and 48 for EPYC) from a likely 6 core instead of 4 core Zen CCX unit along with having higher clockspeeds.