[SOLVED] Will underclocking my factory overclocked gpu reduce cpu bottle necking?

Feb 7, 2019
I recently upgraded my pc case, psu and gpu

Specs:
GPU - RX 580 4GB (factory overclocked)
CPU - Intel i5 4460 3.2ghz
PSU - Cougar VTX 600w
RAM - One 8gb ddr3
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E

The build went fine, the only problem was my cpu bottle necking.

Since my GPU is factory overclocked, I was wondering if underclocking it would reduce cpu bottleneck.

Solution

That's not how "bottlenecking" works.

Let's consider 2 runners...a skinny 10 year old kid (your CPU), and an Olympic sprinter (your GPU).
They are tied together at the wrist.

As they run, obviously the little kid is the "bottleneck". He is much slower than the sprinter, and keeps the Olympian from reaching his full speed.
The difference between the kid and the sprinter is the...

mgallo848

Commendable

Horrible advice. His system would get about 25-30 fps running at 4k.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the CPU bottleneck. Nothing bad will happen to the system, you just won't make full use of the GPU is all.

If you're using a 60hz monitor you could also cap your framerate to 60fps in your games. That will reduce the workload of the CPU and GPU.

USAFRet

Titan

That's not how "bottlenecking" works.

Let's consider 2 runners...a skinny 10 year old kid (your CPU), and an Olympic sprinter (your GPU).
They are tied together at the wrist.

As they run, obviously the little kid is the "bottleneck". He is much slower than the sprinter, and keeps the Olympian from reaching his full speed.
The difference between the kid and the sprinter is the "bottleneck".
If you put ankle weights on the sprinter (underclocking him), it reduces the amount of difference between him and the kid ("bottleneck"), but doesn't make the kid run any faster.

Solution