Question Will updating to 22H2 work to Fix Corrupted Windows files etc; so that I won't need a fresh install?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

This is for Win 11, but I've placed this here as I know many things work the same in Win 10/Win 11.
Obviously the specific 22H2 stuff won't cross over - but the other win fixes might - and they may save me from 22H2.

Will updating to 22H2 work to Fix Corrupted Windows files etc; so that I won't need a fresh install?
Will all my files and settings and installed programs stay as they are if I do that?

I've got various little, to bigger problems with my installation; and I'm wondering if this would be a better route to a fix as I really hate doing a fresh install?

I've just run these two steps; and strangely it all came back 100%?
Which is odd - because there is definitely stuff which has not working right for a long time (including Windows stuff itself eg File Explorer and Settings not working right + things like MS Edge glitching too)

So any other ways to fix Corrupted Windows stuff without a fresh install... ?

if not; am I right in assuming that if I download an install image from MS now from their site (rather than winupdate) - that it should be for Win 11 22H2?

Thoughts, advice ?

Thank you for your help

If you have problems that you know are due to registry or core Windows file corruption, then doing a clean install is ALWAYS the better choice because there are no guarantees that doing anything short of a CLEAN install is going to fix the problem. Updating, doing a refresh, reset or restore, running SFC Scannow and DISM, and all other methods are only good choices if you know exactly what is corrupted, where and why and can verify that there is a known fix for that problem that includes doing one of those things.

Otherwise, you are likely to spend far more time trying to chase down the issue and throw fixes at it to see what sticks, then you would by just biting the bullet and doing a clean install now so that there is no question of corruption at all.

Yes, if you download the media creation tool and create new installation media you will end up with the latest available installation files and build version.