will upgrading from my old geforce 9800 gt to a msi gtx 750 ti be a solid upgrade?

chickenturkey

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hi guys,
Currently I have a pretty old geforce 9800 GT in my PC and i'm thinking about upgrading because the 9800 GT doesn't support directx11. Since i'm a student my budget is up to about €200. I'm thinking about buying the msi gtx 750 ti. Will this be a solid upgrade? I want to play the latest games but I don't have to play them on the highest settings. My resolution is 1440x900, i have 4 gb ram and a quad core 2,4 ghz processor.

Sounds like a smart move to me couple of points:
Consider the slightly slower, but cheaper non Ti version, it's plenty fast enough at that rez, go for the Ti version if you're likely to get a higher rez monitor in the near future.
Neither will be effected by the PCI-E version, they're not fast enough to suffer any performance loss with a PCI-E 1.0 or 1.1 slot.
Both will draw less power than the currently installed 9800GT-unless it's one of the rare 'green' cards.
Aim for a 2Gb card, current AAA games are hugely demanding and the extra memory will not only smooth things out a bit but will reduce texture 'pop up'.

chickenturkey

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

Thank you for your reaction. I think I want to buy a bigger screen at some point so I'll go for the Ti version. One last question, will this card work with my intel quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz? or wil this CPU bottleneck the graphics card?