[SOLVED] Will upgrading my broken wifi-adapter to this ethernet cord make a huge difference in gaming? (besides less interference)

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
So my wifi-adapter has officialy given up on me and I'm looking for a better alternative that will give me better speeds than my wifi-adapter (which seems to cut out alot on the 2.4 ghz network but not in 5ghz even though it gives me a reduced signal due to the distance between my pc + router.) I found this in my closet and wondering if I will gain increased performance out of it compared to my wifi adapter. Just to let you know my PC is about 30-45 ft away from my router (PC is located downstairs).

Also a couple other questions.
  1. Is it a bad idea to put blue tape on the ethernet cords? Planning to do that just to have them stay down.
  2. If I do go with the ethernet cable route, I realize that my ethernet cord will be running near an elevated microwave 3-4 ft above the line. Will that cause any interference with the connection?
  3. Will attenuation occur with my ethernet cable or what is the chance at the very least?

Solution
That is a interesting question. If what you had was a actual ethernet cable it will always be better than wifi. The twists in the cable make it almost immune to outside interference. A microwave oven by law leaks very little energy. The amount that is allowed out is a tiny fraction of what a router actually uses to communicate.

Your issue is that is not a actual ethernet cable.

The problem with that cable is the wire size is much smaller than is allowed by the standard. This mean the cable is uncertified...ie fake.

There is no way to actually predict if it will work since there are no official standards it must meet. In general these cable do work for many people, which is why they can get away with selling them...
That is a interesting question. If what you had was a actual ethernet cable it will always be better than wifi. The twists in the cable make it almost immune to outside interference. A microwave oven by law leaks very little energy. The amount that is allowed out is a tiny fraction of what a router actually uses to communicate.

The problem with that cable is the wire size is much smaller than is allowed by the standard. This mean the cable is uncertified...ie fake.

There is no way to actually predict if it will work since there are no official standards it must meet. In general these cable do work for many people, which is why they can get away with selling them. The longer the distance the more chance they do not work correctly. The main problem with flat cable is they are very fragile and the end will come loose internally. The crimp tools and the ends for standard cable will not work. Since these cables are not standard it is almost impossible to get replacement ends because different flat cable can be a little different....again they do not follow a standard to make them the same.

All you can do is try it and see. Most ethernet ether works or it does not. Some times it will drop to 100mbps rather than run at 1gbit. If it works it should be better than wifi.

Be very careful running this cable. It is very fragile be especially careful of sharp bends.

Solution

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

There is no way to actually predict if it will work since there are no official standards it must meet. In general these cable do work for many people, which is why they can get away with selling them. The longer the distance the more chance they do not work correctly. The main problem with flat cable is they are very fragile and the end will come loose internally. The crimp tools and the ends for standard cable will not work. Since these cables are not standard it is almost impossible to get replacement ends because different flat cable can be a little different....again they do not follow a standard to make them the same.

All you can do is try it and see. Most ethernet ether works or it does not. Some times it will drop to 100mbps rather than run at 1gbit. If it works it should be better than wifi.

Be very careful running this cable. It is very fragile be especially careful of sharp bends.
So it seems that my ethernet is running at 100mbps on my gigabit LAN port on my b250m pro 4 motherboard. Could I change that or is that the limited by my router/ISP?