Will upgrading my CPU affect my free windows upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden Navarrete

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
I have an AMD FX-8300, I found a FX-4350 (4.2gh :D) I just want to get it to speed up a bit.

Now before all the AMD haters come running!! I'm going to switch to intel in the future, I'm just waiting for more 6th get stuff to come out and just saving money and so I just want some extra performance for the time. (plus its cheap)

Would I need to buy an actual copy of windows 10 or will my free upgrade still be on my pc?

Thanks!

Solution
Well it depends if the PC is an OEM (Dell, HP Asus Lenovo and others) the OS is tied to the Mobo/processor . If you have retail version it isn't tied to the Mobo/processor.

You could have issues activating the OS you want to upgrade or Windows 10.

Upgrading a processor is considered a new PC. Replacing with the same Mobo and processor (which they do when you get warranty work done. Your not going to see alot of difference in changing your processor. The biggest performance enhancement to a PC are 1) HD to SSD 2) Add memory 3) faster processor
Your upgrade will work with any changed parts EXCEPT the motherboard.

Now an 4350 is a HUGE step back from an 8300.
The double the core count is way more important then the 2-300 MHz difference.
If you were delivering packages you can deliver much more having 8 drivers going 90mph then 4 drivers going 100mph

Jaiden Navarrete

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Cool, I was wondering about that. Is there an AMD for that would be worth upgrading to of should I just wait till I buy intel?

The 8 core 8300 will deliver far more performance now if you want to bump up the speed to 4 ghz or higher on your 8300 buy a after market cooler and overclock it I have a 8320 sitting at 4.4 ghz all day long you mileage will vary but the 4350 is a step backwards and no matter what chip you have in there your windows 10 will be valid and as long as you don't replace the motherboard you be ok..

Jaiden Navarrete

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Its a stock 8300 on a stock asus mobo.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well it depends if the PC is an OEM (Dell, HP Asus Lenovo and others) the OS is tied to the Mobo/processor . If you have retail version it isn't tied to the Mobo/processor.

You could have issues activating the OS you want to upgrade or Windows 10.

Upgrading a processor is considered a new PC. Replacing with the same Mobo and processor (which they do when you get warranty work done. Your not going to see alot of difference in changing your processor. The biggest performance enhancement to a PC are 1) HD to SSD 2) Add memory 3) faster processor

Solution

Jaiden Navarrete

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

It's OEM I believe, I bought it prebuilt by asus.

So i have a partitioned 1 TB HD that is roughly 360 GB C: drive and the rest is on the 700GB Data drive (roughly like I said) if I buy an SSD, how would I make it the C drive? With the windows and other programs on it?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well when I did it I cloned the drive. Cloning means you would need a USB external drive $20 enclosure and cloning software that you can find on internet for free. I use Acronic True Image best buy for 1 PC around $25.00. The Samsung 500 GB is 183.99 at Newegg. So you would only want to clone C. Then you could remove the old C partition from the HD and use the whole drive for data.

This is incorrect you can upgrade a CPU without it requiring a new license.

I have done this many times with no issues, occasionally I have had to "re-activate" because it says not genuine but it always activates without needing to re-input key or calling Microsoft.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I said they could have issues especially if the new processor requires a new motherboard.
http://articles.marco.org/186

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS