[SOLVED] Will using a [seperate] PSU to power only 1 component (graphics card) work?

Apr 19, 2019
Hi, everyone!

A few days ago, I decided to upgrade my computer's GPU from the "stock" Intel HD Graphics. I found a listing online for a Radeon RX 570, but being my first time shopping for tech online, I ran into a few problems. First, my Optiplex 7010 (SFF) motherboard only manages to supply 75 Watts of power while the GPU demands 150 Watts. I did some digging around my house, and found a few PSUs that are in reasonably good condition.

My existing computer's PSU does not have any other separate cables to power other hardware, so I have to revert to Plan B: Using another PSU just to power a single component. If you're asking, no, it also does not have a 6-pin or 8-pin. I'll have to resort to using a Molex to 6-pin adapter to power it.

Now here's the million dollar question: Will the [other] PSU start up if it detects the GPU starting to demand power? I have other PSUs that I can crack open, vandalize their cables and solve my problem, but I don't really want to fry myself...

Because my PC is a SFF, space inside is at a premium. No more space to cram in the secondary PSU. I'll have to place it on a box nearby and somehow lead the wire through the back and connect it to the GPU.

Solution
The million dollar answer: NO, PSU won't start. You'll have to jumpstart it every time, or DIY a button for your 2nd PSU. I'm not sure if those DIY buttons are sold anywhere.

You're better off getting a new PSU that has all connectors and proper power rating.

To start a PSU, you need to short #4 and #5 pins on a connector, while the connector's clip is facing up.

LL
The million dollar answer: NO, PSU won't start. You'll have to jumpstart it every time, or DIY a button for your 2nd PSU. I'm not sure if those DIY buttons are sold anywhere.

You're better off getting a new PSU that has all connectors and proper power rating.

To start a PSU, you need to short #4 and #5 pins on a connector, while the connector's clip is facing up.

LL

Solution
Apr 19, 2019

Got it! I wouldn't have figured that out myself...

TRENDING THREADS