[SOLVED] will using processor graphics along with discreet gpu help in multi-monitor setup

Naeius

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hello to all,

I always thought that, enabling a cpu's gpu on one monitor while having the other monitors on the discreet card, would offload some graphics processing to said cpu's gpu. Basically I'm using this setup for years now but recently I started wondering if that approach really helps.

My setup is like this:
HD 4600 (cpu's GPU) on a 1920x1200 monitor
1080 on a 2560x1600 + 1680x1050 monitors

I had some free time recently and started experimenting.
In my tests, I used something that did some gpu processing on the 4600's monitor (eg. a browser with a website that had animations, etc) and noticed that BOTH 4600 and 1080 showed usage which seems to beat my assumption that using both GPUs would be helpful.

What do you people think?

thanks in advance

Solution
The iGPU uses very few resources even including the driver, I have mine always connected to my second monitor.
As I said earlier, there is no reason to worry about it either way, there is no wrong way.
If your GPU can handle 3 monitors without causing you any issues you can do that as w ell.
A browser could be, and any modern one should be, coded to use all available hardware acceleration units for its workloads.
Also windows is pretty complicated in how it chooses which GPU to use (or tell software to use)

In general there is no reason to worry about it either way.

Reactions: Naeius

Naeius

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm mainly concerned whether I should keep the internal gpu enabled or not. I'd prefer to use less to be honest so, if it makes no difference whether I use all 3 monitors with the discreet card vs my current setup, I would always go with the former due to simplicity, compatibility and less hardware used.

What do you think?

Thanks again

The iGPU uses very few resources even including the driver, I have mine always connected to my second monitor.
As I said earlier, there is no reason to worry about it either way, there is no wrong way.
If your GPU can handle 3 monitors without causing you any issues you can do that as w ell.

Reactions: Naeius
Solution