[SOLVED] Will Verizon G3100 modem/router work for non Verizon internet service?

I want a Docsys 3.1 cable modem / wi-fi 6 router (wap). My internet provider is RCN, and I noticed that the Verizon G3100 router is only $300 USD, which appears to be a good price.

Question: Is this router compatible with my non-Verizon internet service?

Secondary question: Is there any router better or equivalent to the G3100? I'm seeking a combo docsys 3.1 cable modem/router with wi-fi 6. Thank you.

Solution
What are you trying to do. You likely if you work at it could use it as a router. It does not contain a docsis modem and that is likely why it is cheaper. Verizon uses something different, it runs moca but I am unsure if that is just between the ont and the router or if they somehow use some form of moca on their fiber. In any case if you need just a router 300 is expensive.

kanewolf

Titan
I want a Docsys 3.1 cable modem / wi-fi 6 router (wap). My internet provider is RCN, and I noticed that the Verizon G3100 router is only $300 USD, which appears to be a good price.

Question: Is this router compatible with my non-Verizon internet service?

Secondary question: Is there any router better or equivalent to the G3100? I'm seeking a combo docsys 3.1 cable modem/router with wi-fi 6. Thank you.

I recommend AGAINST a combo unit. A separate modem and router allows the router to continue to work no matter what physical medium the ISP uses. COAX? Fiber? DSL? Just swap the modem. No changes to the rest of your network. The router contains all the important configuration info. Modems are relatively dumb devices.

What are you trying to do. You likely if you work at it could use it as a router. It does not contain a docsis modem and that is likely why it is cheaper. Verizon uses something different, it runs moca but I am unsure if that is just between the ont and the router or if they somehow use some form of moca on their fiber. In any case if you need just a router 300 is expensive.

Solution