Will Windows 7 Kill SSD-based Netbooks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't think SSD would be murdered by Microsoft. It's one thing they can't commit murder to. SSD just has too much potential. I ran hard drive tests on both Vista and Windows 7 and THERE WAS LITTLE TO NO DIFFERENCE on my standard magnetic drives in terms of read and burst speed.

deltatux

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
OMG I've rarely seen such a useless article on toms! The topic is fine, but what's the point if you don't know if they mean 8 of 10, or 2 of 10 netbooks, and when you have to guess that 75 procent means 75 times, and whatever else isn't right .... It's actually worse than the article on tv calibrations pictures being broken - which arguably were the most important part of the article.

I think it's time the publisher guys at toms actually read the articles they get sent in by the authors. Newspapers do have people employed to read stuff before it's printed, in an effort to lower the mistake count....

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
SSD has great potential, and is the futuer of HD. But come on 8gb HD are so 1990's. That they're even rolled out is more just companies trying to pay off at least some r&d debt. Of course they're going to be fazed out because only the uniformed or fanboi's are excited about them. They'll push up to real HD size at a decent price fast enough, after they've milked the gullible.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
1990s ? I didn't even have an 8gb mechanical drive until the second half when ibm came along with one at a decent price! Anyway, no those 8gb ssd's aren't for enthusiasts.

I agree with going Linux but the majority of people going to buy netbooks are the average customer and cry all you want linux is still not ment for the average customer. people want to use these for listening to music,e-mail, and internet. in some cases people want to use media websites but most of the media websites require activeX or windows media player and there is no way around them (and beleve me i have tried) around playing content on those websites. with windows you know everything you want to do with it is going to work

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Are those of you saying "Go Linux! Go Linux!" willing to:

1) Teach Grandma and the average Joe to install a device driver not included in their current Linux distro (probably Ubuntu, as it's the closest thing to "user friendly") and/or teach them how to recompile the kernel if things don't go well?

2) Explain to Grandma or the average Joe that iTunes won't work? Yes, I know that there are substitutions for almost every Windows-only program out there (GIMP instead of Photoshop, OpenOffice instead of MS Office, etc.), but still...public opinion is public. It's like convincing a grade schooler that a no-name brand of shoes is better than a pair of Nike or Reebok shoes.

3) Explain to them that they have to type in commands to mount their flash drive o stuff that normally "just works" in Windows and Mac?

Linux is for computer geeks like us that want total control over the OS. Granted it IS possible for the average Joe to be happy with Linux, but only under the ideal scenario that everything "just works" for them out of the box. Linux is by geeks for geeks, as the community doesn't believe in "You can't fix stupid, so you have to cater to it." Instead it's "You can't fix stupid, so we'll just ignore it."

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
It seems like the problem with netbook's SSD drives now is that they are SLOW! I hear the cheap regular hard drive is faster at writing... now the desktop SSDs are awesome, but the notebook versions aren't so impressive now, so I think I prefer the ole 160gb HD, I'll get a nice SSD when a fast one comes out!

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]Are those of you saying "Go Linux! Go Linux!" willing to:1) Teach Grandma and the average Joe to install a device driver not included in their current Linux distro (probably Ubuntu, as it's the closest thing to "user friendly") and/or teach them how to recompile the kernel if things don't go well?2) Explain to Grandma or the average Joe that iTunes won't work? Yes, I know that there are substitutions for almost every Windows-only program out there (GIMP instead of Photoshop, OpenOffice instead of MS Office, etc.), but still...public opinion is public. It's like convincing a grade schooler that a no-name brand of shoes is better than a pair of Nike or Reebok shoes.3) Explain to them that they have to type in commands to mount their flash drive o stuff that normally "just works" in Windows and Mac?Linux is for computer geeks like us that want total control over the OS. Granted it IS possible for the average Joe to be happy with Linux, but only under the ideal scenario that everything "just works" for them out of the box. Linux is by geeks for geeks, as the community doesn't believe in "You can't fix stupid, so you have to cater to it." Instead it's "You can't fix stupid, so we'll just ignore it."[/citation]
Very good point!
That is the main problem with my friend that I got running Xubuntu, he doesn't have itunes anymore! We need another program to do that...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm too lazy to shoot my left foot by installing linux on anything but firewall/router systems, but I wonder why no linux distro is truely user friendly yet? I mean even apple managed to create a linux distro that appears to be user friendly to those mad enough to buy an apple computer to go with it .... why can't the geeks that actually know something about linux do that? imo if apple can do it, it truely can't be so hard.

Btw killer - I bet my grandma would be just as confortable with linux as she is with her vista. The reason she doesn't have linux is, that us who have to help her make msn, or that multi client thing in knoppix, work don't know enough linux to actually help her once something stops working.

i guess the only reason is all the linux geeks hate how windows looks and feels so the all the smart linux builders try to make there own interfaces. and the big problem with linux is that there are too many versions of it. oh you hear people all over the net whinning about how windows 7 is going to have like 6 versions when linux has over 2000+ versions and none of them 100% compatible with the other

Linux4geeks

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008

Yea, that is a confusing thing... and the compatibility is not nice like you said between the 2k versions... That is something to thing about!

jjomaa22

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Who let this idiot become a writer??? SSD'S will continue to get used regardless of how much space winblows 7 takes up. They have 256GB SSD's out right now whats a measley 6GB compared to 256??

Status
Not open for further replies.