Will WinZip 8.1 work in Win7?

GSGregg

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
The local guru fell 'asleep', and my friend's HP laptop update to W7 left him without WinZip. The 45-day
trial of (version unknown) on the machine has expired, but he still has the docs from the Sept. '05 pur-
chase of WinZip 8.1, incl. the code to be entered in case of HDD/computer change, etc.

Question is, IF this code turns out to still be valid (I checked WinZip.com and the oldest download they
offer is 9.0), will 8.1 even work with W7?

(I know very little about my XP-MCE/SP3 and far less about W7. What is [if it exists] W7's version of XP's
Extraction Wizard? It'd be nice if my pal doesn't even need WinZip, as seldom as he's likely to use it.)
Thanks to all;

GSGregg

GSGregg

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
To Moderator:

If possible, please award the 'Best Answer' prize to Number 13 and Scotteq equally;
7Zip was mentioned by both, and is the remedy I would go with if it were up to me.
As it turned out, my friend 'didn't want to **** with it', and "deleted the whole thing"
(WinZip). When I asked if he 'uninstalled' it, he said, "I don't care; it's gone". I gave
up.

For my own curiosity, though, is there a compression/extraction utility in Windows 7?
XP has the Extraction Wizard, and it seems strange for a newer, better(?) O.S. not to
have something similar....was M$ in that big a hurry to put the axe to Vista?

GSG