Will you buy an R600 card ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will you buy an R600 card

• Yes

Votes: 47 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 46.0%

• Total voters

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, i'll get an r600 card, it will be the hd 2600xt, will perform on par with the x1950pro and be in the same price point, plus it will be dx10, so it seems like my kinda thing,also with native crossfire it might also do well in a setup like that.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
DAAMIT's drivers have been better then nVidias as of late.
You can't compare them though; Nvidia has had Direct X10 hardware out for 6 months, where ATI hasn't.

and out of those 6months they still havent been able to make stable decent Vista drivers.... :roll:

every rumor has said that ATI's Vista drivers have been a lot more stable (even on existing cards ati's vista drivers has been better then nvidias...)

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
and the problems has been with dx9 stuff so the comparison is legit. We don't know how either will do with a dx10 game since there isn't one yet. So DX10 is a non issue.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
what i really want is a damn Intel Motherboard that can do true dual 16x in crossfire instead of 8x :\ due to the fact i think the R600 is going to eat the 8x bandwidth alive

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
All depends on the pricing.. I cannot go over the 1280*1024 res. on my monitor so I would not even consider getting GTS 640 Mb version or the HD 2900 XT couse it wouldn't make sence to pay for extra RAM.

I wonder why everyone is comparing HD 2900 XT to GTS 640's price becouse in all benchmarks I've seen so far (disregarding extreem resolutions) 640 is unable to outpreform the 320 MB version witch is a whole bit cheaper. I might consider ATI if they put something better in 320's price range within one month (when I will be getting my new setup). For now it's GTS 320 for me :)

Voted NO

Poll needs a 'maybe' and would be preferable if it were an R6xx, not just R600.

Since my answer to the poll as stated, is nope, don't want no R600 or GF80 in my laptop, need something 65nm and about half the transistors, but kept the memory bitwidth if you don't mind. :twisted:

And personally won't know the best choice until them mobile version arrive and are benched.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
:) I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but my decision will rest on one thing: VISTA DRIVERS! If ATI can give good vista drivers with their R600's, then I will buy one. If not, then I will keep my 7900gs until next year.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
:) I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but my decision will rest on one thing: VISTA DRIVERS! If ATI can give good vista drivers with their R600's, then I will buy one. If not, then I will keep my 7900gs until next year.

Excellent point. nVidia has had plenty of time to get its drivers to work, and they're still not perfect. Assuming that ATI's drivers are perfect is very dangerous IMO. nVidia has had bug reports from the hundred of thousands of unpaid beta testers who bought G80 cards, while ATI had no such advantage. Also, I recently bought a Theater 650 card from ATI (TV tuner) and the software on it is the worst piece of junk I've seen since my first C++ experiments 20 years ago. If the same guys develop and QA their R600 drivers then I wouldn't get the R600 if they paid me to do so, regardless of benchmarks. Sorry ATI guys, as a fellow Canadian programmer I'm embarrassed :oops:

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Poll needs a 'maybe' and would be preferable if it were an R6xx, not just R600.

Since my answer to the poll as stated, is nope, don't want no R600 or GF80 in my laptop, need something 65nm and about half the transistors, but kept the memory bitwidth if you don't mind. :twisted:

And personally won't know the best choice until them mobile version arrive and are benched.

Come on, Ape, we're talking serious gaming here. I can't even play Solitaire properly on that pathetic excuse for a mouse you find on laptops. :p :p

But yeah, where are the 65 nm GPUs? When AMD bought ATI I was expecting them to share some advanced technology with ATI, so that ATI wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe they've got some major in-fighting between the CPU and GPU departments?

pauldh

Illustrious
well, if we look down the road some time, I'd say most likely yes I will be (someday). It's an addiction ya know. :roll:

But what about in the next few months? It's still a definate possibility for me. I am optomistic about the HD 2900XT for $399 or below. I will be replacing this 8800GTS 320MB with either an R600XT or a 8800GTX. And I have a hard time spending $500 on a card, so the 8800GTX is looking doubtful. Anyway, considering the $500+ range is usually too steep for me, the XTX was probably never in my sites anyway. I am still quite happy with the XT as my possible next card. I just hope it handles surround gaming resolutions!

So R600 and sell this card, 8800GTX and sell this card, or 8800GTX trade up. I'll be waiting to see the retail versions being reviewed. Only time will tell so I can't vote.

Come on, Ape, we're talking serious gaming here. I can't even play Solitaire properly on that pathetic excuse for a mouse you find on laptops. :p :p

You need to master the rollerball my friend. Fantastic friend of the plane cramped mobile gamer, especially if you basically grew up on ThinkPads.

But yeah, where are the 65 nm GPUs? When AMD bought ATI I was expecting them to share some advanced technology with ATI, so that ATI wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe they've got some major in-fighting between the CPU and GPU departments?

Well 65nm seems to have been in the plans long since before AMD bought them, and they are likely just waiting on better yields from TMSC who is their contractred fab @ 65nm. Now not sure about the laptop parts being delayed by OEM orders since technically they should almost all be OEM destined parts anyways. But hopefully (for me) we'll see the laptop parts before we see the desktop parts. Because I want my laptop before my next business trip in June!

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
DAAMIT's drivers have been better then nVidias as of late.
You can't compare them though; Nvidia has had Direct X10 hardware out for 6 months, where ATI hasn't.

and out of those 6months they still havent been able to make stable decent Vista drivers.... :roll:

every rumor has said that ATI's Vista drivers have been a lot more stable (even on existing cards ati's vista drivers has been better then nvidias...)You can make up as many rumors about how great ATI's Vista drivers are, but what good are drivers when the hardware doesn't exist yet? By the way, Nvidia has had Direct X10 Vista drivers for awhile now, not that the Direct X10 support is really important with only two Direct X10 applications available, one of them being an Nvidia tech demo.

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Whether I buy R600 will depend on the card design. What I'm looking to do is put together a rig that can function both as a gaming platform and as a HTPC. For the latter function, I really need native HDMI output that includes pass-through for lossless-format film soundtracks on high-definition discs.

At the moment this is not looking at all hopeful: the R600 chip will support this feature, but the actual board designs we've seen don't. Instead they offer only DVI output with a DVI-to-HDMI dongle. That means there won't be any digital-audio pass-through on R600 (although there presumably will be on RV6xx).

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
DX10 is the keyword here. DX9 performance is not so significant. 8800 series and the HD 2900 XT will be sufficient for DX9. The main question is how does it perform under DX10, that it will provide sufficient performance for a few years ahead. So few more days to go to see results. If it doesn't even get close to 8800 GTX numbers i'll hang on to my X800 XT and wait. Untill the most powerfull card out there isn't 6 months old...