Question Will you recommend me a good backup drive?

Sep 12, 2019
So my old drive failed after 11 good years. It was Transcend Storejet 25M2(I think). I recovered the data by myself using ddrescue on Linux. So i have an img file with the data and now I am on the market for a new drive. So I plan to use it to keep photos and videos of my family. Maybe I will backup the things maximum 2 times a year when my laptop drive is full. An no i do not need RAID setup :D. I am looking for a drive between 2 and 4 tb. I am ready to give from 100 to 150 USD. Everyime when I see something good the reviewsiin Amazon say:
First guy(5 stars) So goood
Second guy(1 star ) If you value your data don't buy it

Oh and it's better the hard drive to be external as well, but if something is so good I can use a SATA bridge. Don't need very fast write speeds. I think that 100 mb/s is fine for me. So yes i don't need THE MOST POWERFUL AND BEST PERFORMING HARD DRIVE, I need something that will keep my data safe for at least 6 years. So it's your turn guys. Which drive will you recommend to me?

For long term storage the best option is Solid state due to its extreme resistance to being knocked around. Of course this comes at a cost premium so hdd is suitable. something like this would work https://www.newegg.com/seagate-mode...=external_backup_drive-_-22-179-115-_-Product

It is important to remember that the total life of the drives will be defined by how much they are spinning so more usage means less lifespan

Sep 12, 2019
For long term storage the best option is Solid state due to its extreme resistance to being knocked around. Of course this comes at a cost premium so hdd is suitable. something like this would work https://www.newegg.com/seagate-model-stdr5000100-5tb/p/N82E16822179115?Description=external backup drive&cm_re=external_backup_drive--22-179-115--Product

It is important to remember that the total life of the drives will be defined by how much they are spinning so more usage means less lifespan
Yeah of course-more usage less life I understand. But I saw this frive and there are very bad reviews by costumers. Like:
Worked for 9 months and failed with all my data on it.

Btw the price is very good. About SSD-s I'm not ready to pay that much for high capacity SSD. But thank you for recommending me this drive. I will hear what the others have to say and I will make a decision.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm a little confused what you mean when you say you're backing up files. You say you're backing up files when the one hard drive is full, but backing up is a second copy which won't clear space; storing a file on a different hard drive instead isn't a backup. It's easier to get an idea of what to recommend when I know exactly what you want to do.

I do NOT recommend solid state for long term unpowered storage, as it's only required to retain the data for a year at 30c when not plugged in. The drive's firmware is designed to rewrite things every so often to keep the data fresh, but cannot do this if it's unplugged.

That's actually what's limiting after you exceed the rated terabytes written--the flash may actually still "work" (as many torture tests have proven), but will lose the data quicker than expected.

Sep 12, 2019
I'm a little confused what you mean when you say you're backing up files. You say you're backing up files when the one hard drive is full, but backing up is a second copy which won't clear space; storing a file on a different hard drive instead isn't a backup. It's easier to get an idea of what to recommend when I know exactly what you want to do.
Sorry for my bad English :( Yeah it's not backup drive. When the other drive gets full I transfer the files feom it to the other drive(this is the drive I am looking to buy)
And sorry for the misunderstanding :(