[SOLVED] will zen 3 bottleneck with 1050ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
what do u mean by "overkill" will it affect perfomance?

How can a cpu that its overkill for a GPU affect performance?

This is quite simple, the GTX 1050TI is a nice, yet a pretty low budget gaming card.

So the Ryzen 5 3600 will be a long way more powerfull CPU than you need (thus it will be "overkill") to drive/work with such a "slow" GPU.

The first question you have to ask yourself is, Will the Ryzen 5 3600 give me more FPS than my current i5 3570?
Answer: Probably yes. But it will all depend on other factors, like game resolution, settings, RAM, etc.

The second question is: Will I get over 100+ FPS with the Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1050TI combo?
Answer: Theres no way anyone can answer that question. It will depend on other...
Sep 6, 2020
There are probably two options for you. Either wait for the next gen Ryzens. Or get a 3600 now

3600 with a 1050 won't make much of a difference. Your i5 will do just fine. The best option:
Hold on to your i5 for now and wait till next year when the prices of B550 mobos, Ryzen GPUs and RTX 3070 should drop a bit. That's your best bet of getting a bang for the buck.

But if you need to start streaming right now, Ryzen 3600 will help. But fps increase won't be noticable too much.
bro when i check the videos benckmark in youtube with r5 3600 its almost 35-45fps more than what im getting so i i dont get more than 120(on low) in a solo game but in the video with r5 3600 with 1050ti he gets 120+ amlmost constant upto 200(on low). so what do u think i should do ,i play fortnite for gaming and streaming. should i upgrade now

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
bro when i check the videos benckmark in youtube with r5 3600 its almost 35-45fps more than what im getting so i i dont get more than 120(on low) in a solo game but in the video with r5 3600 with 1050ti he gets 120+ amlmost constant upto 200(on low). so what do u think i should do ,i play fortnite for gaming and streaming. should i upgrade now
When running a less graphics intensive game at lowest settings, the fps will increase if you get the Ryzen 3600. As I said, if you need to stream right away, you can get a 3600.

Last edited:
The ryzen 3600 is a fine chip. That's what I've got in my own system, I'm just saying that for gaming you'll never see the full potential of the 3600 without upgrading the 1050ti. Not that the 1050ti is a bad card, but their pairing is just not very even if that makes sense. The 3600 is a lot stronger than the 1050ti. However, if you are going to have a system bottleneck, you want a stronger cpu than graphics card.

Reactions: madmatt30
Sep 6, 2020
Bottleneck is not universal. But the thing that will hold back your fps is the GPU. nothing to worry about the CPU.
bro i not worring about cpu i mean will this pair give me best fps , i mean i just want best fps i can get from gpu that's it. i was worried about will the cpu make bottlemeck and would give me lower fps than 1050ti best could

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
bro i not worring about cpu i mean will this pair give me best fps , i mean i just want best fps i can get from gpu that's it. i was worried about will the cpu make bottlemeck and would give me lower fps than 1050ti best could
This pair will provide about the highest possible fps achievable with a 1050Ti.
But if you want even more fps, better GPU will be required.

I think what everyone here is trying to tell you is that theres no way that a Ryzen 5 3600 (or "4600") will bottleneck a GTX 1050ti. Actually it will be the other way around.

In fact the Ryzen 5 3600 will be overkill for the what a GTX 1050 TI can do. Heck even a Core i3 9100 will be overkill for that GPU.

And also, theres no way anyone can tell you how many FPS are you going to get. There are too many factors, other than the CPU and GPU involved in that equation. Theres RAM capacity, configuration (single/dual channel) and speed, theres chipset drivers, gpu drivers, game settings, game resolution, etc, etc, etc.

Sep 6, 2020
I think what everyone here is trying to tell you is that theres no way that a Ryzen 5 3600 (or "4600") will bottleneck a GTX 1050ti. Actually it will be the other way around.

In fact the Ryzen 5 3600 will be overkill for the what a GTX 1050 TI can do. Heck even a Core i3 9100 will be overkill for that GPU.

And also, theres no way anyone can tell you how many FPS are you going to get. There are too many factors, other than the CPU and GPU involved in that equation. Theres RAM capacity, configuration (single/dual channel) and speed, theres chipset drivers, gpu drivers, game settings, game resolution, etc, etc, etc.

This is quite simple, the GTX 1050TI is a nice, yet a pretty low budget gaming card.

So the Ryzen 5 3600 will be a long way more powerfull CPU than you need (thus it will be "overkill") to drive/work with such a "slow" GPU.

The first question you have to ask yourself is, Will the Ryzen 5 3600 give me more FPS than my current i5 3570?
Answer: Probably yes. But it will all depend on other factors, like game resolution, settings, RAM, etc.

The second question is: Will I get over 100+ FPS with the Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1050TI combo?
Answer: Theres no way anyone can answer that question. It will depend on other variables (like the ones I mention before).

The final question: What happend if instead I upgrade my GPU and keep my i5 3570?
Answer: Your new GPU, depending on what you choose, will probably be limited by the old CPU (been there, my old i5 3570 limited the performance of my GTX 1060 6GB).

Solution
Sep 6, 2020
This CPU will give you the best fps 1050Ti can deliver
another general question

Answer: Theres no way anyone can answer that question. It will depend on other variables (like the ones I mention before).

The final question: What happend if instead I upgrade my GPU and keep my i5 3570?
Answer: Your new GPU, depending on what you choose, will probably be limited by the old CPU (been there, my old i5 3570 limited the performance of my GTX 1060 6GB).
so good explinantion bro thanks . so if i get r5 3600 i will not get good performance on cpu intensive games

another general question

so good explinantion bro thanks . so if i get r5 3600 i will not get good performance on cpu intensive games

No you have it the wrong way around.

The 3600 will give good fps on any game out there.

The 1050ti will limit the FPS on graphically intensive games.

Run games on low settings 1080p or medium/high settings 720p and you will get good fps irregardless.

The ryzen 3600 is a very good cpu upgrade over your old i5.
Ideally you'd upgrade the GPU at the same time.

The 1050ti once you've upgraded the cpu will be the limiting factor when it comes to gaming fps.

Sep 6, 2020
No you have it the wrong way around.

The 3600 will give good fps on any game out there.

The 1050ti will limit the FPS on graphically intensive games.

Run games on low settings 1080p or medium/high settings 720p and you will get good fps irregardless.

The ryzen 3600 is a very good cpu upgrade over your old i5.
Ideally you'd upgrade the GPU at the same time.

The 1050ti once you've upgraded the cpu will be the limiting factor when it comes to gaming fps.
bro i meant the 1050ti will be on best performance of it can possibly do, i didn't mean i want more fps than 1050ti could do

InvalidError

Titan
does that mean i will not get bottleneck?
There ALWAYS is a bottleneck. Where and how bad it will be depends on the workload. When you have such a huge disparity in relative performance between the Ryzen 3600 and 1050Ti, it is a pretty safe bet that the 1050Ti will be the limiting factor (bottleneck) in most cases.

As I wrote earlier, you can expect to need to run games at close to lowest settings in graphics-intensive games to squeeze 60fps out of a 1050Ti. How high you can push graphics details is almost entirely dictated by how strong (or weak in the 1050Ti's case) the GPU is.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a 1050ti in CSGO, at ultra settings at 1080p, the cpu will be considerably stronger than the gpu.
With a 1050ti in World of Warcraft high server raid drop at 1440p even at lowest settings the cpu will be considerably weaker than the gpu.

There's simply no one size fits all until you get to extremes, like a 10900k paired with a GT710 or a q6600 paired with a 3070. When a cpu/gpu are somewhat in balance it's going to be on the other components, game detail settings, resolution, game code etc as to which is stronger and which is weaker. And it constantly changes.

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
A gpu bottleneck isnt really an issue because the cpu prepares everything for the gpu and the gpu will render out the scene. If you get a zen 3 cpu, that means your cpu will have a higher fps limit that your current 1050ti can’t keep up with but if you decide to get a higher powered gpu in the future, then you can get closer to the limit resulting in higher fps.