[SOLVED] win 10 64 bit update kb4497165 crashed computer and can't restore or reverse

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I last update from MS crashed my perfectly running system. When they installed KB4497165 my system experienced some difficulties so I followed their instructions and reversed the update install. Once again everything worked perfectly.

One day later MS installed the KB4497165 again and it ran "somewhat" sluggish. I again reversed the install, or so I thought, because they put it back to the startup screen again, but this time it said it had a problem boot. They asked if I wanted to restore... answered yes. Then they stated they could not complete the action and did I want to trouble shoot,... answered yes. They said "could not find any problems.

It seems none of the recommendations from their recovery are now working except for the CMD prompt... I can still get to the command prompt and see files on my hard drives from that point.

I've been wrestling with this problem for three days now and no success. I have two other almost identical system running the same win 10 with the update and no problems. The only one with problems is a gigabyte z390 and I7- processor.

I would appreciate any guidance or recommendation of a file I can copy from one of my other systems and restore to this system from the command prompt. If that is possible? At 75 I don't need these types of aggravations from MS's programmers or defective updates. Please help, this thing is making me go postal. thanks Ken.

Solution
Sounds like windows is borked. Not a lot you can do when you stuck outside the system.

Since you can access cmd, type notepad and press enter. The go to file/open and use file explorer to copy any files you want off C onto another drive if you can
I would suggest a clean Install and since Win 10 2004 was released just 2 days ago it should get you past that update since it is included in the version update.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sounds like windows is borked. Not a lot you can do when you stuck outside the system.

Since you can access cmd, type notepad and press enter. The go to file/open and use file explorer to copy any files you want off C onto another drive if you can
I would suggest a clean Install and since Win 10 2004 was released just 2 days ago it should get you past that update since it is included in the version update.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: krb1945
Solution

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Colif, I owe you a great debt. I've beating my head against the wall for a couple days. With your guidance I've got it almost ready to get back to work. Work... that is what I've done pretty much of the 75 years I've been here.

Thank you and a giant thumbs up to you. Ken