[SOLVED] Win 10 cannot be opened

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
A month ago i set up my desktop to use dual OS...7 and 10 on separate hd's. Win 10 pro is on a new SSD sata hd. It worked fine till recently when i tried to open it, all i kept getting was the revolving circle until finally i got chkdsk appearing. I made chkdsk run its course and still cannot get win 10 to open. When i chose via boot in bios, in stead it opens win 7. Bad, new SSD drive?

Solution
Sounds like you have done it the way I said if you're selecting the OS through BIOS keys. So have you Googled around for the commands to fix the W10 bootloader and ran all those? There's 3 or 4 if I recall correctly. You'd boot off a W10 USB, open a command prompt and run them.
I expect your drive is fine. This is the only decent way to achieve what you want to achieve.

Install only the drive you want W7 on, install W7 and remove the drive again.

Install only the drive you want W10 on, install W10, reboot to make sure it boots. Then add the drive you installed W7 on and use the motherboard's boot selector, not the Microsoft bootloader, to select which OS you want to boot if it's anything other than the one you have set as default. If you've done it any other way than that, you'll probably have to start over. You can Google a fix and some do work to fix the bootloader, but generally you're entering a world of pain using it in the long term.

Dual booting works flawlessly when each OS does not 'know' about the other one.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I expect your drive is fine. This is the only decent way to achieve what you want to achieve.

Install only the drive you want W7 on, install W7 and remove the drive again.

Install only the drive you want W10 on, install W10, reboot to make sure it boots. Then add the drive you installed W7 on and use the motherboard's boot selector, not the Microsoft bootloader, to select which OS you want to boot if it's anything other than the one you have set as default. If you've done it any other way than that, you'll probably have to start over. You can Google a fix and some do work to fix the bootloader, but generally you're entering a world of pain using it in the long term.

Dual booting works flawlessly when each OS does not 'know' about the other one.
I agree...but how does each OS know about the other??? They are supposingly on separate hd's? As far your other response above, you got me confused. ...what are you referring to about install W10? Are you suggesting that i should reinstall it? Perhaps I should manually disconnect one drive W7 and see if W10 will open? I tried again before reading your response and this time i got the message that it would do a repair. I waited for a short time and then it rebooted itself and opened Win 7 instead. BTW, what is Microsoft bootloader? A while back i had both OS on one hd and always given an option on which OS i wanted. But I was told it was safer to have each OS on separate hd's, and that is when i bought the SSD drive for win 10. Under that setup, the only way I had a choice was the need to open my Bios boot tab and choose it from there and it worked for about this past month, until now.

Sounds like you have done it the way I said if you're selecting the OS through BIOS keys. So have you Googled around for the commands to fix the W10 bootloader and ran all those? There's 3 or 4 if I recall correctly. You'd boot off a W10 USB, open a command prompt and run them.

Solution