[SOLVED] Win 10 Change default photo import destination

CMayo

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
I don't know if this is a good place to ask this, but I'm having trouble changing the default photo import location (for the built-in process that pops up when I insert my camera's memory card).

This is the first thing that pops up. I want imported photos to always go into the ./Pictures/Canon Incoming folder instead of the ./Pictures folder, right? The "Import To:" is set to ./Pictures/ So I click "Change destination"...

Import-Items-1-2022-04-17-094220.png

And I get this. The software apparently remembers "Canon Incoming" since that's the first place it goes when I "Change Destination" and the "Add this folder to Pictures" is disabled because I've already done that. The only thing I can click on here is "Cancel" or the close window button. Once that's done...

Import-Items-2-Change-Destination-2022-04-17-094313.png

...the import utility imports everything into the ./Pictures folder (where I don't want them) and I have to manually go and drag them into my Canon Incoming folder.

Import-Items-3-Iimport-Complete-2022-04-17-094313.png

I don't use this word often, but this seems stupid and I can't believe MS such an obviously and maddeningly flawed utility, so I must be doing something wrong. Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong here? Again, I want the import location to default to "./Pictures/Canon Incoming." If I have to select it every time I can live that that, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be any way to send them anywhere but the "./Pictures" folder.

And if it matters, "./Pictures" is a folder on a networked drive to which I've aliased the windows Pictures system folder.

Pictures-Alias.png

Solution
I must have some corrupt software somewhere, Microsoft wouldn't do things this way...

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

CMayo

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
What happens if you try to change the Import to a location outside the 'Pictures' library?

Great question, but exactly the same sequence. When I first "change destination" and select the folder (./Documents/Canon Import Test), I have to click "Add this folder to Pictures" to save my choice, and the imported files to go the correct folder, i.e. ./Documents/Canon Import Test.

On the next import, the utility again defaults to "./Pictures" so I "Change destination" and am placed in the the new ./Documents/Canon Import Test folder but since I clicked "Add this folder to Pictures" when I first selected it, that button is disabled now and all I can do is close the window, leaving "Pictures" as the import folder.

But... if I "Change destination" and navigate out of the Canon Import Test folder, the "Add this folder to Pictures" button is re-enabled and I can navigate back into the Canon Import Test folder where I can either click "Add this folder to Pictures" or Cancel. If I click "Add this folder...", it remembers my choice and the import will go into the correct folder.

Import-Items-4-Test-Change-Destination-Outside-Pictures-System-Folder-2022-04-17-105657.png

I must have some corrupt software somewhere, Microsoft wouldn't do things this way...

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Reactions: CMayo
Solution

CMayo

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Thanks @Colif I did as you suggested (results below) but the behavior is unchanged. I have another Windows machine around here somewhere; I'll see if I can give this a try on that PC and see if I get the same thing. I'll update the thread as soon as I get that done. Thanks again!

PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\Windows\system32> SFC /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
PS C:\Windows\system32>

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should do a restart since it fixed something in the 2nd report. I need to add that to my instructions, restart if it fixed anything. As some changes need a restart to actually do.

How did you go on other PC? Did you use same user there - in other words, is the same Microsoft account logon used in both places? as they have roaming profiles and its posssible windows is using same settings in both places. I just wondering if its a user error (not you, but the profile)

CMayo

Prominent
Jun 26, 2020
Apologies for dropping the ball on this but I did get a chance to try it on another PC and got the same result. I don't sign onto a Microsoft account on either machine (at least not intentionally but who the h*ll knows with those guys?), and I did do a restart immediately after SFC /scannow.

On the other machine, Windows didn't automatically try to import the images. I had to go into Control panel->Hardware and Sound->Autoplay and specifically tell it to import photos and videos. Damned odd place for it, I thought.

I do appreciate you sticking with me on this, but I'm going to let it go and move on, maybe look for a 3rd party utility that's more consistent/configurable.

Thanks again!