Win 10 keeps minimizing and re-opening all windows every few seconds

Jun 18, 2018
I noticed something strange last night when my notification pane kept opening and closing every few seconds. I was streaming video on full screen on a second monitor at the time and didn't notice any other bugs. This morning, i attempted to open some applications to start work

but all the windows on-screen have started disappearing, then reappearing 2-3 seconds later. They don't minimise, they just disappear from the desktop, then reappear a couple seconds later. They are onscreen as long as they are off, which makes it very difficult to test and adjust any settings.

When they disappear or reappear, i can still see my desktop shortcuts, though they flash each time as if my display is restarting. I've tried shutting down any extra virtual desktops and restarting my computer via the BIOS settings (clicking on the correct boot drive manually). Beyond that though, the issue itself makes it really difficult to make any tweaks to the computer settings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you x

Colif

Win 11 Master
run anti virus or malwarebytes?

See if you can get into a clean boot - follow instructions and make sure NOT to disable all Microsoft services or windows won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

you could try safe mode - you can't really do anything here but I would be surprised if notifications still exist here.
at login screen, open power button on bottom right od screen
while holding shift, click the restart button
this loads advanced startup

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

Gaurav_40

Honorable
Mar 13, 2017
Here are some step-by-step instructions to identify and solve this problem:

1. There's a setting called "Visual Notifications" in windows, Try to disable this setting using below instructions:

Open Star Menu, search for Ease of Access Center.
Go to Ease of Access Center.

Look for and click Use text or visual alternatives for sounds.

Now, Uncheck the checkbox for Turn off visual notifications for sounds (Sound Sentry).

Click Apply to save the settings.

2. Open Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on the keyboard at the same time. If that doesn't work, right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen and then select Task Manager.
If Task Manager doesn't flicker, an app is probably causing the problem.
If Task Manager does flicker, a display driver is probably causing the problem.

Three apps were previously known to cause screen flickering in Windows 10: Norton AV, iCloud, and IDT Audio. In most cases, updating the app or contacting the app manufacturer for an update will fix the problem.

3.Update your display driver

To update your display driver, you'll need to start your PC in safe mode, uninstall your current display adapter, and then check for driver updates.
Start your PC in safe mode, then right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
Expand the Display adapters section, right-click the listed adapter, then select Uninstall device. Select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, then select Uninstall and restart your PC.
After your PC restarts, press the Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button and then select Settings.
From Settings, select Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.