[SOLVED] WIN 10 -Long File Name

Jun 6, 2020
While trying to transfer data from the users' PCs (WIN10) to the WIN Server in our HQ, a long path name problems appeared to the users

Users do not want to Flatten the folder structure, instead, they keep increasing the deepness, and obviously the results are errors while transferring or deleting data.

I saw some threads that talking abut long file names and I tried troubleshooting windows capability but no way , Personally I use Robocopy, any help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TideMozer
Solution
Actually, the registry setting you already included in the official solution. MS seems to leave the decision to the users. This setting not going anywhere therefore it’s permanent.
It also depends on your file server OS.
If you are using Server 2012 or older, they cannot support the long file names.
Windows Server didn't start supporting long file names until Server 2016.
Also, check this link
And for your info, if you do not need to waste your time with the PCs of the end-users, you can use a third-party tool to shorten the names in a mass job.
Also there some tools that can handle long path names like GoodSync, Gs RichCopy 360, and...

USAFRet

Titan
While trying to transfer data from the users' PCs (WIN10) to the WIN Server in our HQ, a long path name problems appeared to the users

Users do not want to Flatten the folder structure, instead, they keep increasing the deepness, and obviously the results are errors while transferring or deleting data.

I saw some threads that talking abut long file names and I tried troubleshooting windows capability but no way , Personally I use Robocopy, any help, please?
Flattening the folder structure IS the solution here.

Any workarounds just tend to reinforce and encourage poor data habits.

Reactions: Sonia00

TideMozer

Reputable
Jan 18, 2020
Actually, the registry setting you already included in the official solution. MS seems to leave the decision to the users. This setting not going anywhere therefore it’s permanent.
It also depends on your file server OS.
If you are using Server 2012 or older, they cannot support the long file names.
Windows Server didn't start supporting long file names until Server 2016.
Also, check this link
And for your info, if you do not need to waste your time with the PCs of the end-users, you can use a third-party tool to shorten the names in a mass job.
Also there some tools that can handle long path names like GoodSync, Gs RichCopy 360, and Securecopy.

Reactions: Sonia00
Solution
Jun 6, 2020
TideMozer, thanks
Your reply looks logical and helpful,
I saw the solution in the link that you shared with me before and tried every step but no way .so we will make a full search and we will give one of the mentioned programs a try