Question Win 10 .net 3.5 issue

Pii

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I'm having a problem enabling DotNet 3.5 on my win 10 pro, version 1809.

Whenever i try to enable 3.5 from the windows features menu, it open a windows "searching for required files" forever, without actually advancing.
sometimes the message actually changes to "downloading required files" but then that one hangs forever.

I tried every single solution i could find, from downloading the dotnet 3.5 SP1 package from the microsoft website (it asks me to enable 3.5 to install this software, and then gets stuck on searching for required files), to using the DISM method (stuck on Enabling Feature (s) forever)

I get no error codes or messages, it just basically just gets stuck whenever i try to enable or install dotnet 3.5.

Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to open either Reliability History or Event Viewer?

There may be some specific error code(s) or warnings being logged when attempts to enable DotNet. 3.5 fail.

Key is to identify the reason for the failures and then seek the appropriate fix.

Read the following link for informational purposes:

https://windowsreport.com/net-framework-3-5-missing-windows-10/

The immediate objective is to discover what has gone astray and then focus on the applicable repairs.

Pii

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hey Ralston18, thanks for replying.

I checked event viewer, and it doesnt log anything while the "searching for required files" is running.
Keep in mind that it doesnt actually hang, it just keeps running endlessly, without actually advancing with the installation. I've left it running overnight, still searching for required files, or downloading required files but not actually advancing.

When i terminate the app through the task manager, it gives me this log through event viewer:

Fault bucket 2121377477169059307, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: OptionalFeatures.exe
P2: 10.0.17763.1
P3: af97118a
P4: 87f8
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE5B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_OptionalFeatures_b0d055e55a367f3cd26b39e3e1a92892dfa9a433_de153446_2d251725

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: ecae2b08-7c25-4c6f-b744-a73ff2ac7298
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 462e849332d94f09ed70a593712d15eb
Cab Guid: 0

EDIT: When i try enabling the dotnet 3.5 feature through the DISM function, it hangs but doesnt register in the event viewer at all.

D

Deleted member 14196

try this, make that batch file and try it using your install media

@Echo off
Title .NET Framework 3.5 Offline Installer
for %%I in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist "%%I:\\sources\install.wim" set setupdrv=%%I
if defined setupdrv (
echo Found drive %setupdrv%
echo Installing .NET Framework 3.5...
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:%setupdrv%:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
echo.
echo .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed
echo.
) else (
echo No installation media found!
echo Insert DVD or USB flash drive and run this file once again.
echo.
)
pause

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ase-help/ab856420-7ac5-4f2a-951c-f39c0e25c4e3

if none of what you tried and this doesn't work, it's clean install time for you.

Pii

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
try this, make that batch file and try it using your install media

@Echo off
Title .NET Framework 3.5 Offline Installer
for %%I in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist "%%I:\\sources\install.wim" set setupdrv=%%I
if defined setupdrv (
echo Found drive %setupdrv%
echo Installing .NET Framework 3.5...
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:%setupdrv%:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
echo.
echo .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed
echo.
) else (
echo No installation media found!
echo Insert DVD or USB flash drive and run this file once again.
echo.
)
pause

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ase-help/ab856420-7ac5-4f2a-951c-f39c0e25c4e3

if none of what you tried and this doesn't work, it's clean install time for you.

Tried that too, doesn't help..

I think I can solve this somehow, the main issue is with the windows update service, if I download updates directly from the Microsoft website, it downloads and installs without problems. I don't think this warrants a clean install

Pii

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I basically tried everything on the internet i could find, including every solution on the list in that link you've send me...

the DISM method just stalls forever. It gives me a message of Enabling features, but just remains like that indefinitely.

Trying to install the offline 3.5 package results in windows requesting 3.5 to continue with the installation of 3.5 framework, so pretty redundant.

Trying to enable 3.5 in the features menu returns a request to download 3.5. when i continue, it searches for required files, and downloads required files for 2 hours, and returns this error code: error code 0x80244018

I ran a sfc command and it returned a log file, did you take a peek in that?