[SOLVED] Win 10 not showing all 16gb, but bios and cpu-z does

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
So i just finished my build, and everything works fine, except that win10 shows i only have 8 gb of ram, when Bios and Cpu-z shows all 16GB.

I have tryed switching the ram with same result. The ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, and both sticks light up, and they are both controlleble in iCue (they both show up there aswell).

My rig is:

Gigabyte Aorus b450 i Wifi Pro (only have 2 ram slots)
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8gb 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600x
Evga RTX 2080
Psu: Riotoro Enigma G2 850watt

Why is windows only showing 8gb? and does it means i can only use 8gb when playing games?

Thanks
Jimmi

So i just finished my build, and everything works fine, except that win10 shows i only have 8 gb of ram, when Bios and Cpu-z shows all 16GB.

I have tryed switching the ram with same result. The ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, and both sticks light up, and they are both controlleble in iCue (they both show up there aswell).

My rig is:

Gigabyte Aorus b450 i Wifi Pro (only have 2 ram slots)
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8gb 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600x
Evga RTX 2080
Psu: Riotoro Enigma G2 850watt

Why is windows only showing 8gb? and does it means i can only use 8gb when playing games?

Thanks
Jimmi
Check in Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z memory and spd sections and
screenshot from Resource Monitor memory section?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Maximum memory checkbox in msconfig has to be unchecked.

Troubeshoot.png.036b98ac40e87f6efc68f286c79cc6d7.png

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Here is a pic of Cpu-Z, the two slots are identical, don't know why they are slot #2 and 4, instead of 1 and 3. (only have 2 slots)
View: https://imgur.com/2ROUIJ7

My win 10 is in Danish, so doubt you get any out of that, but the Boot option, as you have shown, is the same on my OS, no check in the box for Maximum Memory, if i check it off i can only choose 8192mb. Have tryied check it on and off, and then save and restart did not help.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
So far i have tryied:

Switching the ram blok, used 1 in both slots, and used the other in both slots. (they work fine)
Run them at default speed in Bios (Bios is latest version)
Overclocked them with Xmp.
Manuel set the voltage from 1.200 til 1.350.
Updated win 10 (which is a Win 10 Pro 64bit)
Restartet a couple of times.
All programs (except win10) see's both ram sticks. (Cpu-z, Bios, iCue, Nzxt CAM)
Win 10 desktop manager, only show 8gb.
Msconfig set to no check in maximum memory on boot.

Win 10 was installed from USB drive, which was created from my old laptop who was running Win10 Home 64bit. But activated with a new Win 10 pro key.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah thanks, it the right information.

Stupid Windows.

Hopefully Windows doesn't limited how memory is used if it doesn't see more than 8gb.

Maybe run furmark ibt and see if you can stress more than 8gb. Also try Msi Afterburner osd to view ram usage while gaming.

Ferimer

Distinguished
You cannot overclock those ram sticks your mobo only supports up to 3200 so if your overclocking it may be stopping the other one from functioning even though it is plugged into the motherboard it will show you have it but it wont allow you to use it if it's trying to push more power to something that isnt supported. So disable all overclocking and see if that helps

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Yeah thanks, it the right information.

Stupid Windows.

Hopefully Windows doesn't limited how memory is used if it doesn't see more than 8gb.

Maybe run furmark ibt and see if you can stress more than 8gb. Also try Msi Afterburner osd to view ram usage while gaming.
I ran Afterburner In the beginning to benchmark my rig when i was done, gotta say i didn’t noticed the ram usages, so i’ll try that. Hopefully i’m allowed to use all 16gb, and Windows just plain stupid and think i have 8gb.