[SOLVED] Win 10 not showing all 16gb, but bios and cpu-z does

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
So i just finished my build, and everything works fine, except that win10 shows i only have 8 gb of ram, when Bios and Cpu-z shows all 16GB.

I have tryed switching the ram with same result. The ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, and both sticks light up, and they are both controlleble in iCue (they both show up there aswell).

My rig is:

Gigabyte Aorus b450 i Wifi Pro (only have 2 ram slots)
Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8gb 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600x
Evga RTX 2080
Psu: Riotoro Enigma G2 850watt

Why is windows only showing 8gb? and does it means i can only use 8gb when playing games?

Thanks
Jimmi

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Ram amount from source pc which media creation tool was used on doesn't matter. Home supports up to 128GB. No harm in trying, creating install media again though.

Sometimes ram work fine individually until put together. It's a possibility.

It's either still Windows, motherboard or ram. Possibly cpu if all ram isn't accounted for at default speeds.
I’ll try making another media installation usb and do a clean install of Windows, and hope that solves it. Could the ram cause an issue with low fps? I mean, Rtx 2080 in 1080p and only 60-80fps i BF1 is not much. According to benchmarks i should get at least 130+ on ultra and no Ray Tracing.
And i have Uninstalled video drivers a couple of times with DDU and got the newest driver and even older drivers. Still low fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen performance reflect on ram speed. To be efficient at processing stuff quicker, ram needs to be running fast.

Cpu prepares frames for the gpu, so yeah, cpu performance is important. Would want ram running in dual channel and at 3000+.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Did a reinstall of Windows from a new, just made USB installation tool, tried to enable xmp without Windows installed. That did not worked, and Windows still only sees 8gb, after reinstallation.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
That’s true.

Here i Denmark we have a big Electronic franchise where you can buy electronics and return it within 30 days, even if you have used it. (30 days tryout they call it.) Gonna get me a set of ram, and try them out before rma my own. That way i can test it already like tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Ordered a set of the same ram kit. Corsair vengeance rgb Pro but 3000mhz to see if they work. And a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU just to see, ( if the ram does not work), that maybe my CPU memory controller is faulty.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Ok, i got the items today. Started by swapping the ram sticks, that did not help. Exactly the same problem as before, only 7,95gb showed up in windows, but Bios and cpu-z ect. showed 16gb. Guessed the old ram was fine, so i switched the CPU to a Ryzen 5, 3600 with the new ram in the MB. Now Bios only show 8gb! Windows also show 8gb, but cpu-z and other programs still shows 16gb. Both ram stick is still adresseble in the RGB lights thou.
I could not xmp the new ram either, same as with the old, reboot 3 times, and bios resetted to default.
switched back to my old ram, but with the new CPU same problem as with the new ram. Bios still only sees 8gb.
Last thing i have in mind is that the MB is faulty, otherwise i can't see what the problem is.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Okay this just got a lot more crazy!
I don’t have the money for the 3600 CPU atm, so i have to return it within the 30 days, so i dicided to swap back the old cpu now, instead of falling in love with the 3600 knowing i was not able to keep it.
When inserting the Old cpu, i discovered that 1 pin i the corner was slightly bend! So i straightened it out and but the pc together. For some odly reason i decided to check ram in windows one last time, and what happened?? Windows showed 16gb!!!
Im sorry i don’t know what exactly fixed my problem, so i can help orhers with same problem, but changing ram and cpu did it for me. Why the new cpu could only see 8gb i don’t know.

Rebooted and Xmp was working just fine as well, all programs says 16gb at 1600mhz.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh well that's good news then.

Thinking of reasons why. Could be the bent pin since pins linking ram are usually on the outer. But with the 3600, id assume pins are straight so don't know. Unless cooler was on too tight? An over tensioned cooler can cause memory issues too but coolers usually have anti over tension mechanisms though.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Oh well that's good news then.

Thinking of reasons why. Could be the bent pin since pins linking ram are usually on the outer. But with the 3600, id assume pins are straight so don't know. Unless cooler was on too tight? An over tensioned cooler can cause memory issues too but coolers usually have anti over tension mechanisms though.
Yeah my fist thought, that the cooler was installed incorrectly somehow, but i have a custom loop from Ekwb, and arcording to the manual i should tighten the skrews in a diagonal pattern all the way down until the skrew could not go any further, so i don’t see how i could have installed the cpu block incorrect. It is a mystery i say.
The ram working correctly now, had also helped on my fps. Went from a 60-70fps on ultra 1080p i BF5 til 110-130fps, sometimes hitting 145fps. So i guess the faulty ram, also had an impact on my Gpu.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Cpu feeds the gpu frames so yeah, better performing memory means a better performing cpu and a much happier gpu :)
Why is it that my RTX2080 only uses about 70% in ex. Ghost Recon Wildlands and at the same time the CPU usage is around 50%? I get an average of 70fps on ultra, but i thought that the cpu and gpu would do better. Like any of the two hitting 99-100% whoever was the “slowest”.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It'll be settings i guess, in Windows and game. What resolution are you running in?

Some suggestions, might make a difference.

Windows power plan set to Windows balanced and change minimum processor state to 10%

Disable fullscreen optimisation with the game's exe compatibility tab. I do this for every game.

Don't use GeForce Experience to optimise games as it can set settings too high, ie resolution scale.

Disable Gamebar but leave Game mode on so Windows doesn't interrupt you with notifications/updates.

Prefer maximum performance in NvidiaCP.

Cpu/gpu usages aren't always consistent between different game engines.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
It'll be settings i guess, in Windows and game. What resolution are you running in?

Some suggestions, might make a difference.

Windows power plan set to Windows balanced and change minimum processor state to 10%

Disable fullscreen optimisation with the game's exe compatibility tab. I do this for every game.

Don't use GeForce Experience to optimise games as it can set settings too high, ie resolution scale.

Disable Gamebar but leave Game mode on so Windows doesn't interrupt you with notifications/updates.

Prefer maximum performance in NvidiaCP.

Cpu/gpu usages aren't always consistent between different game engines.
Awesome, went from a 69fps average in Wildlands to 85fps with your settings!
Had the NvidiaCP max performance enabled, but not the others:) Thanks man!