Win 10 re-install COA won't validate

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I had to revert from Win10 pro back to Win 7 Pro. I had to do this due to driver and security update issues. Now I can't get the COA to validate when I reinstall the WIN10. I cannot see the reason, because I did register the COA on the Win7 pro when I upgraded to 10 on July 29th. At that time Microsoft said it was a legal copy of the software, rather, words to that effect. I don't remember their exact words.

Can someone guide me in the right direction? I have grown to like 10 and have it running on my 5 other computers.

Thanks, Ken

Solution
You don't need to know that code anymore. When you upgraded from win 7 you received a digital entitlement to ALWAYS install win 10 on that PC again. Details of your old licence + your hardware is stored on the Microsoft servers so when/if you install win 10 again it will check the machine and see its recorded on their servers and auto activate.

boot from installer
when you reach stage of install asking for a key, click "skip" and win 10 will install and auto activate itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You don't need to know that code anymore. When you upgraded from win 7 you received a digital entitlement to ALWAYS install win 10 on that PC again. Details of your old licence + your hardware is stored on the Microsoft servers so when/if you install win 10 again it will check the machine and see its recorded on their servers and auto activate.

boot from installer
when you reach stage of install asking for a key, click "skip" and win 10 will install and auto activate itself.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Just wanted to let you know the above suggested fixes didn't work in getting Win10 reloaded. It just wont validate.

I've reloaded Win7 pro and the update seems to be having trouble installing updates. I've gone through the Mircosoft method 1 and 2 to fix. It appears to be running, but never gets to the point where it wants to actually install the updates. previously it would download the updates in about 4 hours and be ready to install. It has been running over 8 now and still not requestion install.

Services wuauserv, cryptsvc and bits are running as they are supposed to be, but the msiserver service stops after 3 or 4 minutes after I restart it. Does the msiserver need to be continually running for the win7 update to work correctly?