Win 10 shows a non-existing Win 7 as Dual Boot

YariLei

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
Hey,

I tried to install Windows 7 as a backup to my Windows 10, to a different HDD. However, the installation for Windows 7 failed. Don't really know why (it claimed it had installed a damaged file), so I tried to run the repair utility with Windows 7 installation disc and it claimed no problems found. I went to Windows 10 and setup the boot to follow Windows 10 boot menu instead of the legacy 7 menu, just to see if the problem was with the boot sequence. I also of course swapped the boot sequence in BIOS. Didn't work. Windows 7 would just not boot up after being installed to another HDD. So I tried installing it again and during the boot installation phase I removed the partitions of that other HDD and basically fast-formatted the whole disk. Then I decided to just f* it and just use Win 10, since Win 7 doesn't want to install.

So, now that I go into Windows 10, in Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Startup and Recovery Settings, I see Windows 7 as a potential default boot. However, I've just removed the Windows 7 partition.

So how do I get Windows 10 to understand that there really isn't a Windows 7 option anymore?

-Jari

Solution
Grab: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ it's free for personal use, you can fix problems like that in a flash and is also great for making multiboot.