Question Win 10 startup fails, boot loop, can't repair

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
This is a recurring problem and the only way around it is to format and reinstall - which I've done about ten times. The machine runs fine for a few weeks then problem returns. It boots into the blue repair screen after failing to 'automatic repair'. Nothing in this screen works and it just reboots back into the same blue repair screen. Here's what has been tried:

Automatic repair - fails
Startup repair - fails
System restore - fails
Reset PC - fails
Uninstall latest updates - fails
CMD > sfc /scannow - no problems
bootrec Fix MBR and other options - problem remains
Boot to USB and attempt same repairs - fails

Absolutely nothing works aside from format, reinstall which goes smoothly. A month or so later this crap happens again.

I've checked the SSD with the Kingston SSD Manager and it reports all healthy.
I've used a different hard drive with Windows 10 on the machine and it works fine.
Run Ubuntu from USB and it works without issue.
Run memtest from a bootable USB stick and the RAM is good.
Swapped out the SATA cables.

Hardware is ASUS B450 Plus, Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB DDR4, RX 570 Graphics, Kingston 250 SSD.

Would love to solve this as formatting once a month is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply - a different SSD works fine. If I send it back and they test it as healthy they will not replace it,

RAM was bought as a matched kit.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
No, the last time it happened it was just Windows 10, the latest AMD Radeon drivers, Steam and Chrome installed on the machine.

I've just formatted and reinstalled it all again and it is running fine. Waiting for the next BSOD and impossible to fix boot repair loop.

Just to clarify on your specs, are you using the Prime B450-PLUS? Or the TUF B450-PLUS Gaming?

Also, when you reinstall Windows, I assume you are downloading a fresh installer so it's 1909?

Edit: Also curious what BIOS version you're running. Right click your start button and click "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". Copy/Paste the following command and post the output here:

Get-WmiObject win32_bios

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks again for the efforts, mobo is TUF B450-PLUS Gaming. Updated the BIOS about 2 months ago so it is version 2008.

I'm using the same Windows USB stick, it has installed fine on 6-7 other machines.

The latest error message on the blue screen this time was 'critical system driver missing' ... intelpep.sys. Error code 0xc0000221.

Though the file it complains about has been different previously, spaceport.sys has been one. Even replacing the file from the USB stick doesn't work, neither do any of the repair options - the only solution is another format.

Last edited:

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Just downloaded the latest Win10 ISO and installed that - which of course went without a hitch.

Waiting for the next BSOD and impossible to fix startup boot loop. :mad:

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Ok, tried that and it reports no errors.

Latest failure complained about corrupt ntoskrnl.exe, error code 0xc0000098. Its a different file every time.

I'm going to send the SSD back under warranty for replacement - it can't be anything else.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
To wrap this one up - the SSD was replaced under warranty and within a week of a fresh Windows 10 install the blue screens were back. I can only conclude that it is a Windows problem since I'm now running Ubuntu on the same SSD without a hitch.

It was time to get away from M$ bloatware anyway!