[SOLVED] Win 10 system freeze without BSOD but only when first starting the PC that day

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
A few months ago, I started to have some freezes without BSOD but only when playing the game Path of Exile, it only happens 10-30 minutes when I start the PC that day, it never happens after I force reboot, I can play for 10+ hours without problem (or play other games for some time before playing Path of Exile). So naturally I contacted their support, here's the main thing they said:

---Your DxDiag does reflect quite a few application crashes that appear to be due to possible memory problems with your computer

---Sorry for the confusion but these errors don't come from any specific applications. RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 errors are more a sign of internal memory issues. As [their staff] has recommended, we'd suggest running tests to check memory for your PC.

But Memtest and some other software from google showed no problem with my RAM or Memory. So well, I just dont open the game right away since it never happened with other games or not gaming for 30min - 1 hour.

But then, after a few months, I am starting to get these freezes when I only have Google Chrome opened. The frozen screen with my MSI after burner shown all hardware usage below 30% and both CPU and GPU temperature below 60C. One time, I did see a blue screen for a split second before the screen turn pure black but no dump file can be found even I did have it enabled (automatic). 99% of the freezes is jsut screen freezing without BSOD.

I dont even know where to start finding the problem at this point.

Here are the spec pulled from DxDiag:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: AB350M-Gaming 3
BIOS: F22 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8142MB RAM
Page File: 7737MB used, 8596MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Display was NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and over the months I basically keep the drivers up to date and windows update running.

The strangest thing is that it never happens after a restart. Its like the PC refuse to work until it crashed once, everyday.

It freezes again few days ago but this time when I try to reboot its just black screen with no BIOS no KB/m lights and no beeps.

This happened 3 years ago too when I first get this PC, I shake around the wires and sometimes it could boot back then, and everytime it did not boot, shaking the wires inside actually worked. after a while, for some reason, it did not happen again for at least 1.5 years. Now this problem is back again too.

I tried to remove one stick of RAM, boot, nothing, replace the one stick I just removed with the one still on, it booted and started windows. Turn off PC, put the other RAM stick back, so now they swapped places, it boots again.... now I just wait and see if it freezes again. It feels like there's more then one problem I am facing here since this not booting problem is not new. And when I just got the PC my crashes actually gave me a BSOD (was HD problem and I kind of bypassed it). But now, this....

For the moment I am not turning off the PC and instead just restart it like once per day, and never have problems so far. It seems like when the PC is not booted up from totally "cooled down" it never have a problem. Because I have tried shutting down the PC but turn on it again (instead of choosing restart from Windows) and still no problem.

Solution
The strangest thing is that it never happens after a restart. Its like the PC refuse to work until it crashed once, everyday.

Do you have fast startup turned on? If you not sure, it is on by default. Try turning it off as it might help the error - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

If you have an ssd as boot drive, you don't need fast startup anyway.

if that fixes it, cause is likely drivers. Try going to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver and updating drivers. BIOS/Chipset drivers most likely cause.

Any driver not written for win 10 can trip up on fast startup.

Did you make PC? What parts are in it if you did?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Do you have fast startup turned on? If you not sure, it is on by default. Try turning it off as it might help the error - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

if that fixes it, cause is likely drivers. Try going to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver and updating drivers. BIOS/Chipset drivers most likely cause.

Reactions: SoulOfDerp
Solution

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017

Hmm.... I turned it off and its 2 boots (2 days) without freeze so far. I did update the drivers but I am not sure I want to turn it back on just to see if it crashes.

Also I just notice some of the settings keep revert back but not always, like "choose when to turn off the display", it sometimes revert back to 15 minutes after I set it to never, but sometimes it stays at never after a few boots, and then the next boot it becomes 15min again. I want it to stay as never because there's one time the system also freezes when it wake up from that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is your user account linked to an email address you gave Microsoft? In other words, is your User linked to an MSA.
It could be sync settings
go to settings/accounts/Sync your settings

can turn it all off or just a section. I can only guess the one you want to turn off is "Other Windows Settings" or just turn it all off.
What it represents are cloud saves, a copy of your profile is saved online so if you log onto another computer, your details can follow

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Is your user account linked to an email address you gave Microsoft? In other words, is your User linked to an MSA.
It could be sync settings
go to settings/accounts/Sync your settings

can turn it all off or just a section. I can only guess the one you want to turn off is "Other Windows Settings" or just turn it all off.
What it represents are cloud saves, a copy of your profile is saved online so if you log onto another computer, your details can follow
I do not have it linked so its kind of weird. But turning off fast start up did seems to prevent the freeze so I guess it kind of works?

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
you could reset power settings to default as that might stop it resetting randomly - https://winaero.com/blog/restore-power-plan-defaults-windows-10/
once you reset them, setting them as you want them should keep them as is,
Reset doesnt work :( I am thinking maybe the "administrator" account was the cause here since it goes into sleep before I login too but I am using the administrator account and now its the only account on this PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are the only human user on pc (perhaps) but windows has several other users it can't work without. Users such as System & TrustedInstaller are necessary for windows to actually work.
Are you using the user account you created on install or the built in admin that is part of win 10?

PC shouldn't be able to go to sleep before you logon.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
You are the only human user on pc (perhaps) but windows has several other users it can't work without. Users such as System & TrustedInstaller are necessary for windows to actually work.
Are you using the user account you created on install or the built in admin that is part of win 10?

PC shouldn't be able to go to sleep before you logon.
I actually cant remember if it was the first account, it should be. But I am not 100% sure. Also screen turn black after a while, I am not sure its sleep or "turn off monitor".