Question Win 11 file explorer slow thumbnails

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I am experiencing difficulties with the latest version of Windows 11, which includes several large folders containing a significant number of image files. To make it easier to view the files, I set the explorer to display large thumbnails sorted by added order. However, whenever I open a folder, a progress bar appears at the top of the explorer, and I am unable to see all the thumbnails when I scroll down. Additionally, it seems that the thumbs are only generated for the page I am currently viewing, and if I scroll down, the process starts all over again. This issue makes it impossible for me to use the explorer effectively.

I have to admit that each folder contains a significant amount of images, sometimes over a thousand. However, the contents of these folders rarely change, so Win11 should generate a thumbnail for each file, making them instantly accessible. I believe there is a system setting for caching thumbnails that could potentially help with this issue. I have three drives that are full of image folders, and some of these folders are quite large. Unfortunately, it is not practical to subdivide them.

Thanks for any tips!