win 2k - best HD partitioning??

G

ok, im getting win 2k pro & im was thinking, whats the best HD partition setup?. I got a 40Gb ATA drive & im thinking this:
#1:

C - 5Gb - windows 2k pro
D - 10Gb - data (saved games, files, mp3s etc)
E - 20Gb - Programs
F - 1Gb - temp files (downloads, temp/internet files, swap) - can i do this?, should i?, should i use a diff drive?
G - 4Gb - leftover

or

C - 5 Gb - windows 2k pro
D - 20 Gb - progs
E - 10Gb - data
F - 5Gb - leftover

- I like #1 best, but i dont know if i can move the temp folders without sopping things working - can it be done?, if so then how?
- Is there any reason why not to use NTFS over FAT32?, its only going to be windows2k, and possibly on a network(i havent found a reason)

thanks =)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mpg on 09/01/01 12:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First of all, swap file MUST be on the outer side of the disk (drive C:?) in order to get fastest performance from it.

Secondly, NTFS is a way to go if you are going to stick with Win2k. Especially if you have partitions larger than 8 Gigs (with FAT32 the cluster size will start to get bigger, so waste of HD space increasing, if you will stay with 4k cluster size, FAT table will start increasing then, so performance drop will occur).

Thirdly, have all the staff that you will be using all the time (programs, games, etc.) closer to the outer side of the drive, and stuff that is stored and not used much on the inside of the drive to have best performance and less drive heads swing on search.

Hope that helps, have fun.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

thanks, thats given me a bit more to think about :)
so how would you changes this, or perhaps i should go for C & D in just C? ->

C - 1Gb - temp files
D - 4Gb - windows 2k pro
E - 20Gb - Programs
F - 15Gb - data (saved games, files, mp3s etc)

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Hi!

well, I really dont se why you want to limit yourself by using all this partitions? Use one partition for the os and program, like 5-7 gigs, and the rest for all your mp3's, games and stuff...

G

yeah, i thought of that, the main reason why not would be when i reformat the C (Win clean install), so i would like to keep the data & progs seperate.

C - 5Gb - windows 2k pro/temps
D - 20Gb - Programs
E - 15Gb - data (saved games, files, mp3s etc)

-*BUT*-Would i need to reinstall these anyway after an os reinstall???

in which case it would be better to do it that way (C=os\progs, D=data), so

- how big should C: be??, the main thing being the further out the data, the further the arm has to go to get it, which is bad is im playin Mp3(D:) & plain a game(C:)-up to 15Gb away..., how much space should i leave??

C - 25Gb - windows 2k pro/progs
E - 15Gb - data (saved games, files, mp3s etc)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mpg on 09/02/01 10:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heres my setup
2 drives

primary master 40gig ata100
5 gig C: win2k & programs
35 gig D: games, audiofiles & audio programs

primary slave 16.8gig ata33
1 partition, (fat32), E: utilites & mp3's.

u dont need so many partitions.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont want to reinvent the wheel here, so just go and read the <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/index.html" target="_new"> stuff</A> to get more knowledge. Hope that will help more.

Personally I would not create partition bigger than 30 gigs with FAT32, because the waste of the drive space will be huge. On my own PC i have 6,8,25 (ME, 2k, backups and music). I dont care about installing games on the separate partition, cos they will have to be reinstalled anyway.
But then again, I use Ghost, so there is no problems to put everything back once it's screwed up.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink: